Friday, November 1, 2013

crocked

Hope last night was howling fun for everyone!

And now--CROCK POT RECIPES!

From Trudy: 

Almost rotisserie chicken. Put a bed of carrots in the bottom of my crock pot....seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme. Then took a whole chicken, seasoned the cavity with a generous sprinkling of salt, pepper, garlic powder and thyme. Then seasoned the top in a similar manner, but added smoked paprika and poured about a cup of chicken stock in the bottom. Cooked on high till done, 5-6 hours. 


From Carolyn (who recommends serving this over egg noodles):

2 tablespoons butter
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style
salad dressing mix
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden
mushroom soup
1 (8 ounce) container chive and onion
cream cheese
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
halves

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and stir in the salad dressing mix, mushroom soup, cream cheese, and wine until the sauce mixture is hot, smooth and well combined. Place the chicken breasts into the bottom of a slow cooker, and pour the sauce mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on Low setting until chicken is tender, about 4 hours.               

Gary chimed in with this divine-sounding recipe:

Butternut Squash Frijoles
Makes about 6 servings
soy-free, gluten-free, no added oil
This recipe uses a 1½ to 2 quart slow cooker
  • 1 cup dried beans (anasazi, pinto, et.)
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup butternut squash purée
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14.5 oz/411g) diced tomatoes with chipotle (or plain with ½ teaspoon powdered chipotle)
  • 1 teaspoon marjoram
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
  • juice of ½ lime
  • salt to taste
  • ground hot pepper, optional to taste
The night before: Combine the dried beans and water in the slow cooker and cook on low overnight, 8 – 9 hours.
In the morning: Add the butternut squash, garlic, tomatoes, marjoram, and chili powder. Cook on low for 8 – 10 hours.
Before serving: Taste and adjust seasonings. Add salt, hot pepper, and lime juice.
You can also make a quick mexi-pizza if you spread the frijoles on a tortilla thinly and top with some vegan chorizo and a few veggies. 


Daisy from Compost Happens offers her crock pot formula:
 
1 cup of every vegetable in the fridge, 4-6 cups broth, and a couple of chicken breasts OR a can of beans or two OR that leftover beef stew meat.


Karen at Spokalulu suggests:


Easy Crock pot Chicken Tacos...dump 1 envelope of taco seasoning, 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts & a jar of salsa in the crock pot, stir and cook on high(4-6 hrs.) or low(6-8 hrs.) Should be able to shred with a fork. Place meat mixture in tortillas and top with your favorite toppings!

Anonymous pointed out this recipe:

 Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 16-oz can black beans
  • 1 16-oz can kidney beans
  • 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
  • 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
  • 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • chili peppers, chopped (optional)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions:
Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try it with low fat cheese and sour cream.

Finally,  my own go-to crock pot recipe:

Italian Beef (from Gerry in Chisholm, MN)
1 chuck roas
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
2 cans beef consume
1 C red wine
Bake at 325 for 4 hours (until it shreds).  Shred, serve on buns. 


I hope that covered everything people sent in.  I feel like I'm missing a few submissions, but I'm not finding any strays in my bookmarks or emails.

Karen, since I'm lazy and simplicity rules my crock-pot cooking, I'm sending you the GRAND PRIZE!!!  A sweet treat from Wisconsin is coming your way--shoot me an email with your address so I can get it in the mail!


16 comments:

  1. I will have to try several of these! I forgot about sending mine in! And it's called "Forgotten Chicken"!

    Spray crock pot with Pam. Add 1 cup of rice.

    Mix 2 cans of cream soups and 2 cans of milk together in a bowl, then pour over the rice. (Doesn't matter what kinds of cream soups - I usually use 1 chicken and 1 mushroom.)

    Add whole cut up chicken, or chicken breasts, or thighs.

    Sprinkle chicken with one envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.

    Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.

    Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if I could adapt these for my Schlemmertopf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some good ones. I love my crockpot

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the greatest inventions, the crockpot! Lots of great eats here. Congrats to Karen. I think her recipe will be in my crockpot this busy weekend.
    Life is Tasty, isn't It?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to make Gary's! I have a tub full of dry beans and that is perfect!! Thank you for sharing these. I'm starting to use my crock pot more and more these days as my littles are getting big and I am spending more time being the activity cabby rather than being at home cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for putting these together for me! I'll be using them for sure! Actually, I already use the taco seasoning/chicken/salsa one after a friend suggested it. It's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the WHAT? I left a LONG comment with my crockpot recipe on your post a while back and when I just went to check it it wasn't there. BAH!!!! It was a good one too. Hold on. I'll grab it again...

    Pkg of pork chops (I used 6 thick cut pork chops)
    1 can cream of chicken soup (I used two cans of the healthy cream of chicken soup-less sodium)
    1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix

    Layer pork chops cover with soup and mix in crock pot on low for 6 hours or hi for 4 hours.

    It was so easy and everyone in my family loved it. The pork chops were tender and not at all rubbery.

    Whew! Hopefully this message will go through! ;)


    ReplyDelete
  8. I love crockpots but my hubby isn't sold on them :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. my crockpot is hidden deep in the kitchen closet. think i might need to bring it out of hiding......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yesterday I made this apple crumble recipe in the crock pot and it is SO good I am making it again today!
    Crock pot Apple crumble: smear a little butter (margerine, etc) around the inside of your crock pot, then dice 5 apples in. I added some cranberries too. In a bowl, combine 4 TBS soft margerine or butter, 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, sprinkles of ground cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon. Stir that, top the apples in the crockpot, cook on low 3-5 hours DANG!!!!! Delish. I found that the leftovers this morning were even BETTER, just spoon some into your bowl and reheat in the 'wave 20-30 secs... :)
    Love seeing everybody's efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, this sounds like a holiday breakfast! Yum!

      Delete
  11. i live by the crock pot from now until april.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just tried the 3 packet recipe that's going around......one packet brown gravy mix, one packet ranch dressing, one packet italian dressing. Mix together, add a cup of water and pour over a 3# roast. Cook on low for 6 hours. That's the recipe....I put onions and potatoes with mine. AWESOME. Will do it again for sure.......did not find it too salty (which was what I expected)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently did the 3 packet roast.....1 pack ranch dressing, 1 pack brown gravy, 1 pack italian dressing. Mix them together in a cup of water. Place 3# roast in crockpot, pour liquid over and cook on low 6 hours. I added potatoes and onion to mine. It was AWESOME. WIll do it again. Expected it to be salty and it was not in the least. Very, very good

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simplicity is a good thing! I made a simple chicken stew today and served it with Bisquick drop biscuits. The fruity side dish was a bowl of pear sauce with cranberry. And guess where the pears came from!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get a prize for sharing a simple crock-pot recipe? Sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.