I'm generally thankful for the heavy stuff, like loved ones and indoor plumbing and good health (or improved health). But today I'm sending a shout-out in honor of the silly trivial stuff. Stuff I can live without, but the frivolity that makes life more fun.
* Game night.
* Winning teams.
* Watching one's offspring play outside while sitting indoors where it's warm and the wireless connectivity brings the blogs of the universe to one's lap.
* Excellent programming on PBS. Downton Abbey, Masterpiece Mystery, Doc Martin, Dr. Who...all kinds of good stuff.
* Plus the few good shows on other channels like How I Met Your Mother and Mad Men.
* Knowing a great source for real maple syrup, which results in always having a case of my favorite breakfast condiment on hand.
* Cupholders in the Momvan for to-go lattes.
* Great hair days, thanks to Kristy.
* When everyone is OUT the door or quietly chewing their breakfast so I can listen to StoryCorps on NPR Friday mornings.
* Soft sheets and the cool side of the pillow. And settling into the perfectly comfortable sleeping position on the first try.
* Hammocks and porch swings.
* Better diversity in our local radio stations--more disco, baby!
* Discovering someone has similar taste/political views/life experiences shortly after meeting them.
* Mail. The paper kind with postage attached found in mailboxes.
* Birds and crickets and flowers in full bloom and a soft patch of grass without any thistles.
* The smell of clover.
* And line-dried sheets.
* Perfect-fitting jeans.
* Eye cream that works.
* Mascara that lasts.
* Scoring big on Words with Friends.
* Getting the house cleaned up and having it sit that way for half a day before people come along to mess it up.
* A stash of good chocolates that nobody else knows about.
* Eye-candy in movies adapted from comic books and Jane Austin novels.
Spill it, reader. What frivolity do you appreciate?