Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I had no idea Shakespeare in Love is like Kevin Bacon, only with a British accent

Fifteen years ago I watched Shakespeare in Love in a theater with my girlfriends.  We swooned over its awesomeness over popcorn and Coca-Cola.  I remember what a marvelous film it was--the soundtrack, the cinematography, the costumes, the script and the glorious performances.   It swept the Oscars that year, winning best picture, actress, supporting actress, costume, screenplay and score.  Gwyneth Paltrow won an Academy Award for her performance, and I liked her back then--before she got all goopy and annoying.  I recall that Dame Dench and Joseph Fiennes and Ben Affleck were part of the cast, but when I popped this treasure into my DVD player Saturday night I was surprised to recognize:

Dolores Umbridge!



Barbossa!




Gareth!



Gerald!


Carson!




Doc Martin!

 
 
And Mr. Darcy (acting like a twit and sporting some skeevy facial hair)!
 

Watching this movie again made for the best two hours of ironing I've done in ages.



16 comments:

  1. I need to dig out my DVD and watch again. I loved it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What takes you two hours to iron???

    I've never seen the movie, but now I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Why did she have to get all Goopy on us and ruin everything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I caught a bit of it a few weeks ago but now I want to watch it again...YES, it's on Netflix instant watch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen it. Now I have something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post ;)

    http://closertotheedgeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to admit how lame I am........the only person I recognize is Colin Firth! I'm not a movie goer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You iron while you watch DVDs? That's pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to watch something while I iron too - my pile is all those linen napkins and tableclothes. Clothes get done on demand.

    Gareth! I might have to go back and rewatch that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmm...is this a woman's thing? I, um, wandered off halfway through, just like I did with TITANIC....

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a good thing the photo of Mr. Darcy came last in this post. Not sure I've seen this photo before and it induced instant swoon.

    I've passed up Shakespeare in Love many times on the ol' Netflix - thanks for the reminder that it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen it in a long time. I'll definitely have to re-watch it. I loved The Full Monty, LOL. Imelda Staunton pops up in a lot of good movies. She was in Vera Drake, and in the eighties she starred in a hilarious BBC sit com called "Is it legal?" Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. We used to watch it on BBC night on PBS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to like Paltrow back in the day too. I LOVED her in Sliding Doors. An absolutely AWESOME movie. One of my favs. Watch it if you get the chance.
    And yes. Love Shakespeare In Love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you manage to watch chick flicks with a house full of men?
    I need to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.