Tuesday, November 26, 2013

people

At my MIL's house we have to go around the room and say what we're thankful for before the Thanksgiving feast.  Inevitably everyone says the same thing: they're thankful for people. 

It's true for almost all of us.  We love people more than anything else in the world.  Our kids, our parents, our friends, our spouses mean more to us than food or clothes or hobbies or toys or TV or games or cars or vacations.  And as I take stock this Thanksgiving, I feel damn lucky for some special people.

* Team Testosterone.  Yeah, they're loud, messy and demanding, but they are MINE and I wouldn't change their humor, their love, their enthusiasm, their creativity or their ideas.  They're part of me and I'm part of them.
* Nina, Lauren, Marni and Mariana--my sisters-in-writing who encourage me and inspire me.  I'm lucky for their friendship and to get to tap their editorial eyes.
* Paul and Julie and their kids--they've been our friends for a mighty long time and they're like family.  We don't get to spend the big holidays with them, but the secondary holidays, like Halloween and Fourth of July, aren't the same if we aren't together.
* K and T and T and K--two couples, who, I just realized, have opposite initials.  Anyway, they're a heckuvalotta fun to get together with and it's a great blessing when we can gang together for a night out.
* Our neighbors who are lovely and generous and thoughtful all the time.  Our home is home partly because of who we live near and we live by some super folks.
* Three couples--Alice and Bud, Carl and Ruth, and Jim and Janet.  They've taken on the role of surrogate grandparents to my sons in various ways.  We live far from biological family, but we're blessed to have people attend to our sons so they feel loved by an older generation.
* Our biological families.  They live in other states, but they've given us a good foundation to enjoy the live we have right now right here.
* Those old teaching pals of mine--N, M, K, K, M, C, S!  We don't see each other much these days, but when we do get together it's as though time hasn't passed at all.  What a blessing to stay tight with these intelligent, funny and caring women for so long.
* Sarah, who is the sister of my heart.
* The women from my church who let me tap their wisdom every week.
* The Bumble Book Club--for friendship and good reads and great conversations every month.
* Bloggy friends who've let me into their lives.  I'm so lucky to have met several IRL.  Over they years they've given me advice and recipes and encouragement.
* D.  He makes a long car ride feel short, he endures and perseveres, he backs me up, levels with me and keeps things steady around here.

Spill it, reader.  Who are you most thankful for?

8 comments:

  1. Yes, people indeed. Family. Running. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful for our new friends here....it took a lot longer than I planned to find "our people", but they were worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have built a wonderfully, supportive, fun community around you, which is an important thing to do when you live so far from relatives.
    Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husband, daughters, neighbors, soulmate, bio brother, sisters and brothers of my heart, deceased sibs and dear friends and what they taught me before they left me, teachers, professors, mentors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family and friends (both in person and on line!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most thankful for the three men I live with -- my two sweet boys and husband.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.