Tuesday, November 19, 2013

quirks

I have no time (which I'd like more of) and an abundance of money (which I don't really need) because I get called to sub so often lately.  It's an odd sort of problem to have.  I guess the subbing pool is super-slim all over the area.  It does require a certain type of availability to sub--you have to have nothing else going on, be ready at a moment's notice to jump into a classroom and possess the flexibility to handle any lesson plan or group of kids placed into your capable hands.

Yesterday I agreed to work all morning, but by the time the little nippers finished their morning prayer and calendar review my gig had turned into a full-day deal.  My duties included going outside with the kids for recess in a howling and bitterly cold windstorm.  To brace myself for the lengthened day, I jogged across the street to grab a fortifying cup of coffee and a snack at the local gas station.  I returned to face the classroom duly armed with my coffee and snack pack o' roasted almonds when I remembered the one kid with the severe nut allergy and blast it all, no snack for Green Girl.  Only caffeine.

Also noteworthy:  I sharpened over a hundred pencils as part of my day o' subbing.  Then I made a big mess of emptying the shavings into the trash. 

You know how I have a guy for almost everything?   Apparently I do NOT have a guy for helping me construct my greenhouse.  I don't have anybody--and it's a two-person job.  So my greenhouse is sitting in the shed waiting to be assembled while the days pass and grow colder and my frustration mounts. 

Team Testosterone is gearing up for deer hunting (opening day is Saturday) and I'm looking at my last weekend alone with Mr. G before he joins his dad and brothers out in the woods.   That makes me feel more verklempt than giving up the pretense of Santa Claus on Christmas morning. 

I'll leave you with this final quirk:  Mr. G loves sports.  He watches a LOT of football on TV and plays Madden on the Wii.  His favorite team is Baltimore (little traitor!) and Sunday's loss totally bummed him out.  He licked his wounds by playing Baltimore against Chicago on Madden the next morning before school and changing the ending on his own. But that's not the quirky part of Mr. G's football habits.  Before the games when they have someone sing the National Anthem, Mr. G stands right in front of the TV with his hand over his heart until the song is over.  And if you're in the room with him, he tells you to stand up, too.  "Out of respect," he reminds you with a stern stare.  Cute pint-sized patriot.

15 comments:

  1. I like how Mr. G stands for the national anthem at home in front of the tv. Substitute teaching must require great flexibility, good for you to step in when needed, and nice for your bank account too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a lot of time, and extra money? Sounds like you'll be doing most of your Christmas shopping online! LOL!

    Love to see that patriotic spirit in young kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love that he stands up for the National Anthem. What a sweetie.

    I'm envious of your greenhouse -- unassembled as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a bummer about your greenhouse! You need to round someone up. Have you tried Craig's List? Since you'll be working with the person, there isn't such a trust issue.

    Thanks for being so sensitive about the nuts. From the mom of one allergenic kid, it's VERY appreciated. And Mr. G is adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I nominate Team T to be your greenhouse guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to being a sub again once the kids are all in school. All the fun with the kids, but no grading or parent conferences is exactly what I'm looking for.
    Bummer about the greenhouse. Perhaps you can use that extra cash to hire a strapping teen to do the lifting.
    Mr. G is one awesome kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just put that abundance into a college fund!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Money and time seem to be mutually exclusive, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I hear you on the deer hunting. Last year with Mr. G!!! That makes ME all verklempt for you!
    This is the first year that Joey will be joining Todd and that just makes me sad. It will be SO WEIRD around here without all four of my kiddos with me when Todd is gone. :( I don't like it. I can't imagine when all of them (Grace will probably be a hunter too, knowing my luck- hehe) go with Todd. Sad.

    Mr. G is a Ravens fan!! For shame! ;) My Joey roots for the Cardinals just to be different. Little stinker. Love Mr. G's patriotism though! :)

    My kids have had a fair share of subs lately and they always come home telling me how MEAN the sub is. I have to remind them over and over again how difficult it is to be a sub and ask them to be extra kind. I bet if you were there sub they would come home THRILLED. I have a feeling they would have a ton of fun with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't have gotten to have the coffee either - I'd have been too worried I'd have to pee in the middle of class! It's great you're getting to sub so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And my crush on Mr. G. grows ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have two friends and they could work everyday if they wanted. It irritates me that the teacher attendance rate is lower than the students. Iim not sure I could handle the recess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Mr. G is so sweet! But don't tell him and ruin his manliness. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. G and my Amigo would get along well. Amigo also stands for the National Anthem and insists anyone else in the room do the same. He likes to call me into the room from wherever I might be if he thinks I'll enjoy the performer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's wonderful. Take one day week off always--maybe Wednesday. Just tell them they can't call you. Self-care :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.