Tuesday, December 17, 2013

light

It's been a dark couple of weeks here.  We're closing in on the solstice, but today is snowy and bright and a balmy 16 degrees.  I convinced Team Testosterone to walk to the bus stop today--"SIXTEEN DEGREES IS PLENTY WARM!" I lectured.  "You've lost perspective with these subzero temperatures."  My offspring has become coddled and lazy.  Pfft.  Wrap your scarf around your face, zip up your coat, yank on your boots and TRUDGE that quarter mile.  Heck, in my day we used to do it UPHILL.  BAREFOOT.  ALL WINTER LONG.

It's so nice out I'm going to strap on my snowshoes and stomp through the woods to cut greens and boughs and berries to adorn my front porch.  And I'll take out the compost, refill the bird feeders and shove the garbage dumpster to the end of the driveway.  Make hay while the sun shines, you know.  Or at least get some outside chores done before the temperature plummets below zero again.

But seriously--16 degrees feels like a heat wave with the sun shining.  And I looked at our calendar to find we have nothing going on tonight.  Nada. Zip.  Zilch.  No Scouts, no basketball, no church, no meetings, just a sweet blank space.

All day I'm going to float with anticipation of an evening dedicated to exactly nothing.

Spill it, reader, what would you do with an unexpected night off?

11 comments:

  1. Unexpected night off equals reading and early to bed in LyndaLand. Our temps, altho cold are nothing like what you are seeing. We've had a few icy patches on the roads and we covered our smaller plants for a week at night but really it's mild relatively speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is the stuff of my dreams too, and snap - we have one tonight! It will be a meal together, not in shifts and an early bath & tv, maybe even a programme from start to finish - now that would be a treat! Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's 22 above at the moment, and sunny, yipee! And the moon was out last night, so no clouds and it still stayed above zero! Heat wave!!

    a night off, oh fun, read a book. I have just finished the Hobbit for about the 20th time and have started on the Lord of the Rings also for the 20th time. I have read it about every other year since the early 70's. all my kids have too. This set by JRR Tolkien and the books by Louis Lamour have been my favorite companions for many years. While I read many authors, those are the ones I can read many times, others, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow do I love your nativity scene. :-)

    A little time off? Oh, no, no. Not while the bathroom is still being redone! And somehow, the chaos that is the bathroom has spilled over into the kitchen, where I've found it impossible to cook. No idea why...

    When I'm not doing something grubby in the bathroom, I've taken to marathon-like viewings of What Not To Wear on Netflix. I can fold laundry, ramble from room to room, make lists (and check them twice) and still be there for the big "reveal". :-) Awesome.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... I really can't comment because all my nights are 'nights off'. BUT, if my husband were not home then perhaps that could be considered a night off? I would watch whatever I wanted on Netflix and would be in heaven not having to share the remote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watched A Christmas Story last night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If that were 16 degrees Celsius, it would be balmy indeed, and that is how I interpreted it for a split second. I have the night off very night because I plan my life that way, not having a husband or children now. Therefor I don't do anything special and waste my time reading and listening to the radio. I am an old lady and entitled.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back when I lived in Buffalo, 16 degrees and no wind, meant driving around with the car windows down because it was so "nice out."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this unplanned evening also include not cooking? If so, then I'd be on the sofa with a book and waiting for dinner to arrive at our front door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is this 'night off' of which you speak?

    Jazz band concert tonight and then all after school activities are DONE until after the new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so pleased to see that we get up to 42 the next couple of days, thanks Santa!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.