Monday, December 16, 2013

mistress of my domain

If I was a farmer, I'd totally raise vegetables or fruit because I'm not a big fan of animals.  They're messy and noisy, they smell funky, they require constant attention--daily feeding and watering and cleaning-up-after chores.  That's why I grow plants on our little plot of land, as opposed to raising chickens or goats.  Plants are quiet, undemanding and pretty without all the effort involved in animals.  They don't even need water every day and can thrive if ignored.

And yet...every winter I fill the bird feeders and the songbirds flutter in to eat.  I glance out my window throughout the day and watch them flocking to the sustenance I've provided.  Those cardinals and jays and woodpeckers and sparrows depend upon me, my generosity to trudge through the snowbanks with sacks of seed a few times a week.  My faithfulness to purchase birdseed and bring it home for their survival.  And each time I look out my window at the tree branches covered with birds I get this strange sense of pride and ownership--Behold my flock!  They rely on me to survive!  I am Bird Queen!  Their mistress and provider!  Look on me and sing, feathered friends! 

I have no urge to start raising suckling pigs or milk cows, but I think I understand how a farmer feels when they look at their herd or flock.  It's a cool satisfaction.


10 comments:

  1. And birds are free to come and go as they please, whereas farm animals are not. I suppose that makes a difference too, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be why I don't have pets - I just feel trapped when I know that an animal's well-being is dependent on me. But then, I don't do so well caring for plants, either. Put me in charge of a set of data, then I am more likely to sing "behold my flock" and feel a sense of ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob and I were just staring out the kitchen window, both saying "Darn! I meant to fill those bird feeders days ago!" It's a good thing I left all my gone-to-seed flowers up, so the birds can at least find a tiny snack in our yard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! You know how I love my birds and squirrels. I love this post so much. I really do. I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have reminded me - I need to get some birdseed. I'll just place it on the list with the other thousand things I need this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I leave fruit on my tree for the birds. That's what I say (maybe I am just lazy).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What, all those stories from our farm doesn't make you want to jump into raising animals?!? :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.