Wednesday, January 22, 2014

big stuff in little packages

I've been editing like a fiend and subbing this week.  I'm this close to wrapping my book, but a last minute scene rewrite has slowed me down.  I rewrote it, then one of my readers objected with good reason, explaining that if I left the scene alone, I'd have to add other stuff.  I didn't want to add any new scenes, so I had to go back and change the premise.  I thought I had an idea, but after hashing it out with Mr. D, I ended up with a New! and hopefully Improved! scene change. 

So, there's that.  And then waiting a week before I crawl through a paperback proof word by word by comma by word by word...you get the drift.  It's tedious stuff.

Mr. G and Mr. B have their first wrestling tournament of the season this Saturday and last night at practice they got their singlets.  I would post photos but they scampered off before I could grab my camera.  Trust me when I tell you few things are more giggle-worthy than scrawny little boys in singlets posing with their fierce faces. 

Mr. T and I watched Downton Abbey Sunday night as is our tradition (Dr. Who on Saturday, Downton and Sherlock on Sunday--we're PBS people all the way).  My favorite moment was immediately following Mrs. Hughes' great scene of ripping Edna a new one and sending her packing.  Mr. T remarked, "She is SO BOSS."  Couldn't have said it better myself.  And Sherlock is excellent.  Anyone else watching?  I could live happily entertained without any TV if I had access to PBS.

A club of 5th grade girls came through while I was subbing yesterday with little baskets of cake pops and rings welded out of old silverware.  They were selling them to raise money for St. Jude's.  Why?  Because they want to do good.  I'd have bought a fistful of rings but only one of them fit me.  Those girls were so sweet and earnest I wish I'd had more money in my wallet to donate to their cause.

Suck it, Robert Redford.  This ring is twenty times cooler than your overpriced Sundance catalog rings!

In other news, playing Minecraft together is still all the rage.  This is what Team Testosterone looks like if they don't have school or sports ... clustered together in their jammy pants building with bricks and digging for redstone and doing a bunch of other stuff I don't fully comprehend but endorse because I like seeing them bonding so nicely.


Spill it, reader.  One big thing in a little package.

15 comments:

  1. The revising does sound tedious. Your ring is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you. I enjoyed reading.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter recommended Sherlock to me and I am so glad. It is an amazing show. Sunday nights are TV heaven :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ring and Minecraft has been big in this house too. My big thing is my daughter, who comes in a teeny, tiny package!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ring is SO BOSS! Love, love, love those girls - good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The long underwear that I bought yesterday came in a small package. It is very thin but promises to create great big warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby came home every day this week with a very accurate (for a Kindergartener) facts about MLK Jr. She is so earnest when she's telling me about the Civil Rights Movement...makes me proud both as a Mom and as a History Teacher. :) Big Stuff coming from a Little Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I just love this picture of the boys hanging out together!
    I am looking forward to the new book Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kids WARM inside for SURE! Gosh they get into a lot of sports though, don't they? Never stop moving....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool ring. My boys are totally into Minecraft as well. We were talking about drug addictions during school today (yeah, we kind of get off topic a lot) and Nathan goes, "Then it's kind of like Minecraft?" Ummm ... yeah, pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen DT season 4 yet, but I'm glad Edna got the boot. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of whats-his-name, Sybil's husband either. He gets on my nerves, but he doesn't deserve Edna.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One big thing - an email from a student's mom, saying that I can't take a medical leave. They like me too much. I can't go. She ended with a take care & we'll really miss you note, and I ended with a tear in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure about the size of the package, but my big thing is having the opportunity to care for my friends' teenagers while they are out of town. I am delighted to spend this time with these kids, overjoyed with the opportunity to be a mother for a few days, and honored that my friends trust me with this enormous responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice to see someone who understands gaming can be a reasonable activity. My big thing this week is that I fought the man and won :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.