Wednesday, January 29, 2014

muttonchop monday on a wednesday (cowboy edition)

My oldest was actually grouchy about having to go back to school today.  I helpfully told him that some kids were trapped in school overnight because of this freakishly awful winter weather, how lucky was he to be trapped at home instead?  Instead of feeling, gratitude, he growled at me and may have snapped a little.  I think it would be horrible to be trapped overnight at school.  A library or museum, yes, but a school?  No way.

The sun in shining, it's about zero degrees and I'm on the edge of my seat anticipating a day home alone to get stuff done and the paperback proof of Kicks Like a Girl.  About 20 minutes into my "me time," the phone rang and sure enough, it was Mrs. W, the school secretary.  Mr. B needs to be picked up since he's not feeling well.

Seriously?

In other news, I talked to a guy about using our land for his honeybees this summer in exchange for 50 pounds of honey.  That's a pretty sweet deal.

I'm practicing for tomorrow's Scripps Spelling Bee.   I'm the "Local Pronouncer" and take my duties very seriously.  Pandiculation.  Entablature.  Rubicundity.  Flagitiously.  But really?  The kids won't get that far down the list.  I bet most of them get knocked out in round 16 when I read prognosticate.
(By the way, if Blogger was in the spelling bee, they'd lose because they have all four of those spelling words marked with the squiggly red underline.)

Here's the really bad news:  Crazy Mom Tats lost everything in a house fire.  Including her dear pets.  Absolutely heartbreaking.  And Becky's best cousin died.  Go and give them a word of encouragement, will you?

I'm off to play nursemaid to Mr. B who has this unproductive cough deep in his chest.  No way is this kid faking it, either, because it was Country Western Day at school and he got to dress like a cowboy and Team Testosterone loves anything cowboy.  This past month Mr. T and Mr. B have begun to watch every western they can get their hands on because cowboys are all the rage 'round here--last night they watched The Outlaw Josey Wales and declared their intent to watch everything starring Clint Eastwood because he is so cool.  Is he the same guy who plays Wolverine?  Ah young grasshoppers, I see the resemblance, but no, that's Hugh Jackman who plays Wolverine and these westerns you're watching predate The X Men by at least 40 years.  The boys also inadvertently suggested a great drinking game while watching a western by mentioning how often characters spit.  (They didn't suggest drinking beer while watching westerns, I came up with that part myself.)  I could see a lot of fun in taking a swig each time a dastardly cowhand shoots a stream of chaw into a saloon spittoon.
 
hot muttonchopped mutant
hot muttonchopped cowboy

18 comments:

  1. 50 pounds of honey?! That is a sweet deal! Wish I could work out a trade like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you do with 50 pounds of honey? Just curious, because I could never use it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask what you'll do with 50lb of honey too! How odd that Clint Eastwood is cool again, if must be about 90 now! Never spotted the Hugh Jackman resemblance before .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read HE not if, it's my phones predictive text!

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your friends. Fires are so tragic. :( I hope your son is feeling better, and very sweet news about the honey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. honey: goes into some of my favorite recipes and costs plenty, lucky YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so kindly - we are going to be OK.

    Also - honey is very heavy! My mom had bees - a one pound jar is smaller than you think. But 50 is a lot - and it will be good for all the flowers and the trees in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry for the sick kid. No fun. Yum, honey, there are so many things you can do with honey. from subbing in recipes to conditioning your hair - yeah, look it up he he.

    I wonder if the attitude has something to do with the resemblance. but yes, the 2 do have some characteristics alike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh by the way, I found you from Crazy Mom's blog way back when.

      Delete
  8. I miss our bees! No, really I just miss our honey. We used to get about 100 to 150 pounds per summer, from one or two hives.

    Bummer about Mr. B. I hope he will heal quickly. Emma finally went back to school today --for half a day. Her schedule is all wonky this week because of the school play, which we opted out of. However, I went back to campus today for a couple of meetings (luckily she can stay at home by herself) and I loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fifty pounds of honey and won't his bees help to pollinate your garden? That is a great deal for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super local honey is awesome. My in-laws have gotten bees and I'm looking forward to a jar every now and again. The funny thing is, my MIL doesn't even like honey; she's just trying to round out things on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Local honey - and bees to pollinate your crops! Lucky on both ends of this deal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eastwood is a better squinter Jackman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suddenly, westerns just became more interesting...like the beer idea, too. I once lived in northern WI and get the beer thing. I came here to laugh, but you made me cry, reading about your fellow bloggers. Cool that we can create a writing community to share joys, sorrows and hot muttonchops. Thanks for stopping by the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Local honey is excellent, especially in helping one combat local allergies...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.