It's been a steep learning curve of a month here, but today I'm resting on my laurels and reflecting on what I have learned, even when things weren't completely successful. February is a short month and it's not even over yet, but all the big events are finished as of last night.
* After painting a bumpy wall, I learned a Fathead cannot adhere to any textured surface. Now I've painted large boards of masonite to hang over the aforementioned bumpy wall so Mr. G can display all of his Baltimore Ravens Fatheads. Home improvement SUCCESS.
* Sorted out the finer points of book formatting and have a new title available in paperback AND Kindle! Technology SUCCESS.
* Attempted to snow shoe in 38 degree weather and got mired knee-deep in slush. Exercise FAIL.
* Baked 300 ninjas after discovering the best sugar cookie cut out recipe ever. Baking SUCCESS.
* Tried to self-promote and sell some copies of Kicks Like a Girl this week, something I'm terrible at and uncomfortable doing. This whole indie publishing business has been a terrific leap of faith, and I've got to sell 42 more copies (not counting Amazon sales) to break even on my investment. Business FAIL.
* Organized a 9-pin bowling tournament to benefit the project-based charter school I'm on the governance board for--and helped them earn over $1,000. Fundraising SUCCESS.
* Pulled together a passable Thomas Jefferson costume for youngest child less than 24 hours before he had to wear it to school. My craft skills aren't the greatest, but I did figure to use quilt batting for his wig all by myself. (Plus I peppered the kid with Jeffersonian fun facts so he'd sound really smart--and reeducated the boy by explaining that no, TJ did NOT help write the Gettysburg Address.) Costuming SUCCESS.
* Hostessed Bumble Book Club and got our beloved founder to join the discussion via Skype from her new home in San Antonio, Texas--totally cool to have her "back" for the evening to discuss The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri. Social gathering SUCCESS.
* Prepared mango-chicken-curry and most people ate seconds! Found all the ingredients for mango-chicken-curry while shopping! Asked around and learned that a proper Indian dessert is rice pudding, which I served with a side of fresh strawberries and dark chocolates and it was the perfect ending to our complexly spiced and flavored meal. My very first time making Indian food. Ethnic Cooking SUCCESS.
* Coordinated the logistics of hostessing book club which included organizing transport for kids to and from basketball & wrestling practices. Got the main bathroom cleaned, scrubbed, sanitized, stocked with new rolls of toilet paper and locked down before the boys came home from school--they immediately yelled, "MOM! The bathroom door is locked!" Yes it is. I'm having people over and it is CLEAN. Use the basement one or your bathroom upstairs. Bonus: I remembered to unlock the bathroom before my guests arrived. Housekeeping SUCCESS.
* Discovered that filling bird feeders when the wind is blowing 35 mph is a futile gesture of goodwill. Bird support FAIL.
Not bad for a 3 week stretch. Spill it, reader. What have you accomplished this month that makes you feel proud?