Friday, February 21, 2014

accomplished

It's been a steep learning curve of a month here, but today I'm resting on my laurels and reflecting on what I have learned, even when things weren't completely successful.  February is a short month and it's not even over yet, but all the big events are finished as of last night. 

* After painting a bumpy wall, I learned a Fathead cannot adhere to any textured surface.  Now I've painted large boards of masonite to hang over the aforementioned bumpy wall so Mr. G can display all of his Baltimore Ravens Fatheads.  Home improvement SUCCESS.

* Sorted out the finer points of book formatting and have a new title available in paperback AND Kindle!  Technology SUCCESS.

* Attempted to snow shoe in 38 degree weather and got mired knee-deep in slush.  Exercise FAIL.

* Baked 300 ninjas after discovering the best sugar cookie cut out recipe ever.  Baking SUCCESS.


 * Tried to self-promote and sell some copies of Kicks Like a Girl this week, something I'm terrible at and uncomfortable doing.  This whole indie publishing business has been a terrific leap of faith, and I've got to sell 42 more copies (not counting Amazon sales) to break even on my investment.  Business FAIL.


* Organized a 9-pin bowling tournament to benefit the project-based charter school I'm on the governance board for--and helped them earn over $1,000.  Fundraising SUCCESS.

* Pulled together a passable Thomas Jefferson costume for youngest child less than 24 hours before he had to wear it to school.  My craft skills aren't the greatest, but I did figure to use quilt batting for his wig all by myself.  (Plus I peppered the kid with Jeffersonian fun facts so he'd sound really smart--and reeducated the boy by explaining that no, TJ did NOT help write the Gettysburg Address.) Costuming SUCCESS.


* Hostessed Bumble Book Club and got our beloved founder to join the discussion via Skype from her new home in San Antonio, Texas--totally cool to have her "back" for the evening to discuss The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri.  Social gathering SUCCESS.

* Prepared mango-chicken-curry and most people ate seconds!  Found all the ingredients for mango-chicken-curry while shopping!  Asked around and learned that a proper Indian dessert is rice pudding, which I served with a side of fresh strawberries and dark chocolates and it was the perfect ending to our complexly spiced and flavored meal.  My very first time making Indian food.  Ethnic Cooking SUCCESS.

* Coordinated the logistics of hostessing book club which included organizing transport for kids to and from basketball & wrestling practices.  Got the main bathroom cleaned, scrubbed, sanitized, stocked with new rolls of toilet paper and locked down before the boys came home from school--they immediately yelled, "MOM!  The bathroom door is locked!"  Yes it is.  I'm having people over and it is CLEAN.  Use the basement one or your bathroom upstairs.  Bonus:  I remembered to unlock the bathroom before my guests arrived.  Housekeeping SUCCESS.

* Discovered that filling bird feeders when the wind is blowing 35 mph is a futile gesture of goodwill.  Bird support FAIL.

Not bad for a 3 week stretch.  Spill it, reader.  What have you accomplished this month that makes you feel proud?

 


21 comments:

  1. Laundry. Digging my car out last week. Finding the tube of chapstick I've wandered about the house looking for for a solid week now - even went into the restaurant I work at and shook that place down in my search, only to find it in a pocket this morning. YES! I know, why not buy a new tube? Because it came in a boxed set I bought at Target and it's a fabulous new Burt's Bees flavor that I have gotten hooked on (Pink Grapefruit) and I haven't been able to find it anywhere else. Also, I'm stubborn & lazy.

    Way to go you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished my 'diaper duffle' and will attempt to make my own dress dummy. Have enlisted the hubby to wrap my body in duct tape (per internet instructions) and hoping for a sewing/crafty SUCCESS by the end of the weekend.
    Props on all your accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, your husband wrapping your body in duct tape sounds either very kinky or very scary :-) Good luck with that!

      Delete
  3. Well, I have just learned what a fathead is, and how expensive they are! I'd like one of those instant windows, and Emma would LOVE those peace signs. I won't show them to her :-)

    I'm so glad you Indian food was a success --curry is one of my favorite dishes, especially with mango!

    I have managed to put one foot in front of the other for the month of February. That is my greatest accomplishment so far this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Thomas Jefferson costume. Why is the lead time on these things always less than 24 hours?

    My accomplishments this month include (1) reading - meaning finishing - 4 books; (2) shoveling snow from a cumulative 5,000 miles of driveways (between ours and The Widow Douglas' next door); and (3) finally signing up for physical therapy (related to #2).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe you will get those additional books sold without any problem whatsoever. Just give yourself another week or two!
    I managed to not work all day on my day off. Success?

    Also, I've not yet read Whipped, Not Beaten -- should I get it via Amazon or is there a better way? (Which way helps you the most?) Looking forward to Kicks Like A Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why isn't there a Colin Firth fathead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was a like button for this comment.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! I think I see a new business venture. Mancake Fatheads!

      Delete
  7. I'd say you had a very successful month.
    I didn't know what a Fathead was but they are really cool!

    I have to say, with marathon Olympics watching I really didn't accomplish very much this month! It's a good thing my daughter's dog needs to be walked twice a day or I would be fused to the comfy chair, surrounded by popsicle sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many successes to celebrate! Glad to hear the book club meal went well. The indie book publishing seems quite scary to me. Good for you, jumping in and learning how.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You, Girl, are SuperGirl!!! Mercy, child, I'm exhausted just reading this. My heart rate jumped right up there keeping up with you. Way back when, there was a time, eons ago, I used to do the same thing, but not with such finesse~phew!
    Let's see, my biggest accomplishments were 2. I cleaned out and shredded 5 file cabinets of life in my fast lane. and second, I finally purchased a 2 in 1 bike/elliptical and have used it nearly every day...twice a day. That's pretty impressive for an old lady like myself. And now, I'm exhausted again.
    BlessYourHearts...you and your very active family
    Oh, Where did you find those awesome Ninja cutters and Where's the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Sounds like you had an incredibly successful month. So many good and exciting events in your life!
    And again, thanks for the tips on the Thomas Jefferson costume. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had mango curry myself for the first time, last week! Mmmm :) What have I accomplished in the last month? I can't say I have the winter blues BUT it is easy to understand why in the 1800s people would get cabin fever and do weird sh!t, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've learned that reading one of your blog posts can make me feel lazy and inadequate. ;-)

    This month, so far, I have gotten rid of some clutter that has been irritating me for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Locking the bathroom is a great strategy! I might try that.
    What have I accomplished? I'm healing. I've reached a point where I consider that an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can definitely answer this one. Jenny. Treatment.

    I need a copy of the book--is from you best or Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The auction is over and in the books, and by the sounds of people last night (and the spreadsheet that came today from the finance group) the entire evening was a rousing success. Now I'm off to sleep for a week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not good a sales either. Makes me squirm.
    the TJ costume rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm pretty bad at self-promotion too. Awkward and weird. I've had a crazy busy month and am very happy to have all the work but it would be lovely to be able to spread some of it out to the upcoming months where I have none.

    Add me to the list of folks who needs to buy a book! Should we get them directly from you or from amazon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either way, Claudia. Email me your mailing address if you want me to send to you!!!

      Delete

Spill it, reader.