Tuesday, February 4, 2014

complementary

I combed through the paperback proof of Kicks Like a Girl and thank goodness I did because I found a page and a half with no indents, one paragraph indented too far and a few other piddly formatting issues.  My reader didn't see any of these things, said she was too engrossed by my great book.  I will not ask her to proof for me again, bless her heart, but she did boost my ego with her complements. 

Yesterday I was subbing and had packed my proof copy to check over during free periods.  In the hallway I bumped into the school's new head cook, who I really like, and I pulled out my book to show her.  She took it and remarked, "I love reading!"  Then she looked at it again and said, "You found a book by someone with the same name as you?  Cool.  Because you have a pretty uncommon last name."  Uh, no.  I wrote this.  "YOU wrote this?  HOW?"  It was a funny exchange.

Now it's time to squelch my fear and self-doubt and publish this book.  Silly how that critical voice in one's head shouts louder than the voices of real people saying nice things about one's work.

15 comments:

  1. I know that voice. Tell her to shove it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cook was simply naive probably not knowing anyone who knows anyone who writes, which is kind of sad but at least now she knows a writer and a very good one at that. I am looking forward to your new book Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky to find a book by someone who not only writes books but also has the same name as you!! So funny! Good luck with the next step, I'm looking forward to hearing (reading) more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hilarious interaction, especially the "HOW?" part.

    Take the plunge, baby. Publish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will read any book written by somebody with the same name as you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, next time, send the MS to me. You know I'll proof it carefully.

    Can't wait to read Kicks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a hilarious conversation :-) Kind of surreal. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how many times you can read mistakes and not catch them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I love that cook! She was properly impressed as one should be!
    I can't wait to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to be ordering this one for sure. Let me know when it's available...to order

    ReplyDelete
  11. ""You found a book by someone with the same name as you?"

    DYING. Same last AND first! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't know how much I would like to find a book that was written by someone with the exact same name as me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is cute about your conversation with the cook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would be the toughest part for me. I'm a pretty good proofreader, but I can get into the story and then miss editorial details.
    In submitting to my company's national blog, my work goes through so many people that sometimes I'm not sure it's even mine.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.