Friday, February 14, 2014

jitters

As of thirty seconds ago the UPS tracking showed my book shipment is en route from Oshkosh, WI which is a heckuvalot closer than Ontario.  The ETA is 2:08 p.m.  All the sugar cookie dough for the remaining 3 batches is in a ginormous Tupperware bowl chilling in the fridge ready for the ninja cookie Bake Fest at J's house tomorrow.  My "to-do" list is half checked off and I've got a huge pile of random stuff--serving platters, flower vases, tablecloths, cups, etc. sitting behind me on the floor.  Deep breath now.

Oh, I wish all you sweet bloggy friends could be at Sunday's book launch party--wouldn't that be a swell bash?  I can just picture it--of course, none of you would be talking about Kicks Like a Girl  (available HERE in Kindle and paperback!), you'd be totally wrapped up in one another but I wouldn't mind a bit. 

Now for random stuff because my brain is racing a thousand directions today:

There's a new thing with the kids these days called "rainbow jinx" which is different from regular jinx in that you can talk all you want after being jinxed, but you cannot pee for an hour.   OBVIOUSLY not a game women of a certain age would ever want to play.

Last night Mr. G informed me that girls really like it when you brush your teeth and use mouth wash.  Really?  How did you learn this?   Kyle told me.  Kyle who?  (There's no Kyle in his grade that I know of.)  Kyle B.  (Ah, one of Mr. D's high school baseball players).  How did you and Kyle get on the subject of girls out in the shed, buddy?   He was telling me not to get involved with them because they take all your money.  Well, that's not bad advice.  But you should still brush your teeth anyway.

The whole obsession with burlap on Pinterest fascinates me.  Do people not know burlap is rough and scratchy and best used outdoors for protecting shrubs over the winter or hauling grain?  Do they understand how it's not a comfy, cozy fabric for, say, throw pillows or chair covers? 

Speaking of Pinterest, has anyone else been tempted to make up some B.S. recipe just to see how many people would try it or repin it?  Like "Whiten your teeth with cinnamon and flour!  It really works!"   Anyone? 

I'm not a fan of The Beetles.  There.  I've said it.  I find their music kind of annoying.  It's not a quirk most people share, like my disdain for corn on the cob or shopping malls. 

That Japanese figure skater was MIND BLOWING. 

Spill it, reader.  Something random but fascinating.


14 comments:

  1. I made a burlap craft last fall. It's not very easy to work with.

    Yes, I wish I could be at your book launch!! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gotten 8 hours of sleep in the last two days. This auction is putting me into zombie mode. ;) I just keep telling myself......It's All For The Kids. And so I don't have to pay $20,000 in tuition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed all the burlap in the fabric store and been perplexed as well. I was wondering what the current craft project was, never considered it would be used to cover pillows. Much luck and fun on the book launch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably won't remember of course but burlap was also a thing back in the 70's. I suppose it's the getting next to nature idea. Who knows, but it was when there was also all the macrame plant hangers.

    I never look at Pinterest or Instagram or Twitter or Facebook. I suppose I like hearing people's thoughts more than what they had for dinner. That sounds kinda stuck up doesn't it. Oh well.
    Well, the books will be here today and all is as planned. Good luck with Sunday Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. Rainbox jinx. I wonder if Emma has heard of that? Of course, things that center around peeing are usually more boy-oriented :-)

    The cookies look great --where did you get the cookie cutters? I might have to find some to surprise Emma with. It would be cool to show up with some when she tests for her next belt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rainbow jinx!?!?! Hahahaha!!!
    Burlap?? As in the same material pioneers used to make clothes out of because they didn't have money to buy fabric? Interesting. And nothing I would do. (Who am I kidding? I don't sew anything!)
    The cookies look great!
    Have a great time on Sunday! I wish I could be there, and I would talk about the book!

    As for fascinating, I'm still stuck on the fact that there is a filter in my septic tank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not like the beatles either, nor elvis.
    sounds like a yummy time will be had on sunday, wish I could be there.
    Have a great time with your new book.
    You are correct about burlap, not a material for anything other then hauling potatoes or live chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited for your new book. My author friend, Melissa . . .

    Random, but amazing: I Erin Brokoviched a major corporation--and I am just getting started. For now, I sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!!!!! I am so completely excited for you!!!!! I will be ordering your book on Amazon. And I need another hard copy of Whipped, Not Beaten too. I lent my to a friend and haven't gotten it back. Anyway, I can't wait to read your new book!!!! WAAHOO!!!!
    Good luck at the signing! I hope you have a BLAST and a very successful meet and greet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I love your header pic!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so exciting! Those are awesome ninja cookies. Wherever did you find such cookie cutters?

    Something random: 18, 61, 1, 93, 87, 30. Numbers, random numbers. Probably not fascinating, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Random but fascinating? Where to start?

    Here's one: I'm never full. I could eat a 16-pound turkey and ten plates of mashed potatoes and then go out and run a 10K. My stomach never registers fullness.

    This, of course, creates all sorts of problems...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up listening to The Beatles, and I met Paul McCartney once, but I'm still not a huge fan of theirs either. Maybe it's because I'm older and certain songs grate me now. Who knows. As for something random -- I'm like Jocelyn and hardly ever feel full. It kind of sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cookies look fantastic!
    I'm watching a lot of Winter Olympics while I recover from stir craziness - I mean, recent surgery. Beatles? I wasn't really into them. Amigo likes their music, though.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.