Wednesday, February 19, 2014

slapped

It was bound to happen after such a busy month.  That early clench in the back of one's throat, the slow ache, the heat deep in one's muscles, the faint glow of headache, the glazed vision.  It's Virus Time!  Drag out your OTC drugs of choice and wipe your nose because staying in bed all day is not an option.  The urge to stay wrapped up in bed was strong, but when I reached up to turn off my alarm this morning I knocked my glass of water all over my pillow.  A cold splash wakes a girl up in a hurry.

I talked a big game last month at book club, so tomorrow night the Bumbles will be at my house to discuss Jhumpa Lahiri's exquisite book, The Lowland.  Plus I was all cocky and suggested that I would prepare Indian food--How does chicken curry sound?  Stupid me.  I've never made chicken curry before.  What goes with chicken curry?  Rice, I imagine, and a nice tossed salad goes well with everything.  But for dessert--do we stick with a standard rich chocolate concoction or keep it light and fruity?  Oh, the humanity!

In brief, I have to figure out what to make for book club tomorrow night, scrub down the bathroom they'll use (and inconveniently the same bathroom Team Testosterone likes to use with their poor aim), write a bunch of thank you notes, run to the post office, go grocery shopping, do laundry and finish prepping for tomorrow morning's Bible studyThank goodness I already read the book.

Spill it, reader, to help me decide:  light & fruity or dark and chocolatey for dessert?



 

14 comments:

  1. Some Indian dinner menus suggest rice pudding, mango ice cream, or any desserts flavored with honey and cardamom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum --I LOVE Indian food. I'd probably eat so much of the chicken (cocoanut milk?) curry that I'd be too full for dessert. Maybe a small piece of dark chocolate? A small serving of ice-cream?

    What a bummer to have a cold --it makes everything so much less fun to do. I hope you can still enjoy the club meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you feel better soon. Either for dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our favorite Indian dessert at Indian restaurants is rice pudding. You can buy containers in refrigerated cases at many grocery stores; it won't say "Indian" but is close enough. For on the side with the curry, have bowls of plain yogurt (to cool down spiciness), raisins, and chutney and let guests help themselves. Have a fun discussion and get together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd go for some mango sorbet and dark chocolate: easy to purchase at the store and easy to serve.
    Good luck getting the boys to keep that bathroom clean between now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What everyone else here said - rice pudding or fruit such as mangos are typical Indian dessert fare. I'd share a recipe but I've lent out my favorite Indian cookbooks at the current time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rice pudding or the Mango sounds very good, I would however place a dark chocolate kiss at each place setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry that you're feeling crummy.

    I think that you should make the dessert that is EASY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dark and chocklatey, with rice, if possible?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fruity is more sophisticated but I always like chocolate better. Regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like either dessert. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute cookies up top, but ALWAYS choose chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am probably too late, but how about a chocolate rice pudding? A little bit Indian and little bit of decadence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh for the love-ah! When it rains it pours. Go figure you'd get sick on the very day you have to cook (CHICKEN CURRY) for a bunch of people IN YOUR HOME! GAH!
    I hope all went well and you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.