Sunday, March 23, 2014

flesh it out, she suggested


Among the assignments I've collected from the seniors at Happyland High School are the resumes and cover letters.  While I barely know most of these students, I've tried to connect with many of them to help them make these business documents good enough to use in real life because resumes and cover letters are practical (unlike the analysis of theme in a novel, for example).  To that end, the following conversation occurred Friday afternoon:

Green Girl:  So, your resume looks fine, but you only listed your education and job experience.  You might want to flesh it out with something else, you know, to give people a better idea of who you are.

Student:  Like what?

Green Girl:  Well, activities, clubs or sports are good.  No sports?  It doesn't have to be a school thing either--maybe you're a member of a snowmobiling club or something like that?

Student:  Not really.

Green Girl:  Okay.  Hm.  How about volunteer experience?  Maybe you've volunteered at your church or you worked concessions for the tractor pull in Mackville or Breakfast on the Farm?  People like to see how you're involved in your community.  I know a guy who got an interview because he listed coaching kids in baseball on his resume--it showed community involvement along with an interest, which is why it's good to list that something extra.

Student:  I did fifteen hours of community service last year.

Green Girl (perking up):  You did?

Student:  Yeah.  Does it matter if it was court ordered?

Green Girl:  !

16 comments:

  1. Oh dear! And your answer was??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, community service is community service. It doesn't always matter how we got there; just that we got there at all is often a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoL... That was hilarious! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My high school had a volunteer hour requirement - sort of the same thing, minus the judge involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have spit out my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say count it. Many kids wouldn't be doing any service if the schools didn't require it. My son had over 500 hours of service by the time he finished 8th grade. The twist? It was fun stuff: theater at the zoo. It still counted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say include it! Many kids wouldn't do anything if the school didn't require it. My son had over 500 hours of service before he finished 8th grade. It was actually fun stuff, theater at the zoo, but it still counted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. dang...in truth, though, all teens need SOMETHING they get excited about--if I had not had art I would have gone to jail as a juvenile delinquent, you know? it saved me! kids need golf or lacrosse or writing or SOMETHING to do and love....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really curious about your response!
    And yes, she should probably count it -- every little bit helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll expect to see her in my community college classroom next year.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.