Thursday, March 6, 2014

letting you know

The subbing gig I was supposed to begin at the end of the month started Wednesday because babies come when they darn well please.  We are not prepared, I repeat, NOT prepared.  I made a hair appointment for next week and an orthodontist appointment, now I must cancel.  I will not produce 20,000 words for my writing workshop this summer.  I will not get Team Testosterone gradually yet thoroughly trained in the Fine Arts of Housekeeping.

Today all my best laid plans flew out the window to make time for planning lessons.  I still have to figure out where to park and where that AP multiple choice quiz is that the kids are supposed to take tomorrow.  I am shaky on how to take attendance, enter grades, make photocopies, use the SmartBoard.  (SmartBoard!) I don't know anybody's names, how to get to the library or how to submit lesson plans.  Thank goodness the bathroom and water fountain are just around the corner from the classroom or I'd be in a real hot spot. 

Speaking of hot spots--the classroom I'm in is a toasty 75 degrees, so I'm red-faced and rank by the end of my morning.  I thought I needed to wear a sweater to work, turns out I should've worn a tank top!  And then there's coordinating drop off and pick up for Team Testosterone, monitoring their homework, freaking out about what to feed everybody. 

I'm winging it, flapping like hell and hoping to find a tree branch soon to catch my breath.  Meanwhile, I've got a novel unit to prepare for and over a hundred new names to attach to faces ... and that's not counting staff ...

22 comments:

  1. You will manage. And manage well. And soon it will all be going smoothly. And the Team's housekeeping training will be on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you will do just fine. It might seem like panic mode right now, but it will all work out. Have a good time tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for it to go well, in spite of not having time to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never felt closer to you.

    You really got me with the sweating and rank part. The classroom I teach in is hot, too; it's always a huge challenge to dress warmly enough to get to campus without dying...but then to be able to strip down enough not to pass out from dehydration while teaching. I actually have thought about taking off my tights in my office, 'cause they KILL me with heat while teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the maven of multitasking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I'd go and hide under my duvet if I was you! Good luck, I'll be thinking of you......

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're going to do great! It'll be an adjustment, but it'll come together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the ride - you will love it in a few weeks once the routine sets it and before you know it summer vacation will be here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've had a Smartboard in my classroom for several years now, and it still scares me. I hope yours is more user-friendly!

    Also, this is where picking up sub-sandwiches for everyone after work is a great idea --they're reasonably healthy and everyone likes them. Take-out is a working mom's savior :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing like having to jump right in. At least less time to worry about it. You'll be an old pro by Monday.

    This is where those men at your house learn how to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even though you are currently in a tornado, the positive point in all this is that those kids are gettting an outstanding sub teacher. Get out the crock pot...I work full time and it is my savior at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure that you are quite capable of handling this. I think of you as a very unflappable woman. You will make it a success.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We believe in your incredible management skills. Besides -- you kick like a girl! :)
    Thank heaven for weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooops... that's me, Karen. I got signed out on my own computer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh gosh...just a few more months until summer... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I need a xanax after reading this post. not that i have ever had a xanax in my life.... glass of wine? cold beer? a long nap?

    that is a lot of madness and juggling and all that said i bet you rock and the students love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You'll fall back into the swing of teaching in a few days....you'll be great! and remember....both China Moon and Jet's deliver to our neighborhood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Take care! You'll figure out your priorities (like novel or Spark Notes version) and the boys will rise to the occasion. At least they'd better rise to the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have it on good authority, many a good teacher is still perplexed by the smartboard.
    You've got this, you really do.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And after a week, you will feel like a total pro at everything you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm freaking out for you. I'm such a planner I can't imagine being thrown into it like that. ACK!!!!
    I have no doubt you will get the hang of it quickly and do a superb job.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm exhausted just reading that. You will get through it - because you have no choice, right? That's always my philosophy, anyway. Good luck, I'm rooting for you, and I'm sure you will do great once you get rolling! Deep breath! :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.