Thursday, March 27, 2014

sloppy season

It's definitely spring out there.  If the start of baseball/softball practices on our calendar this week didn't clue me in, the damp muddy tracks on the floor would have.  Even so, the ground is frozen solid and covered with ice and snow. 

I've been planted in a chair all week reading Dostoyevsky, student papers and a novel that I'm editing.  This sedentary lifestyle feels unhealthy and wrong to me.  My body feels dull and flat when I move so little.  Tonight I hopped on the elliptical in our basement for 25 minutes to take the edge off.  When will spring come?  What I most crave is that grand exhaustion, the tight shoulders and tired legs, after a day of pulling weeds and hauling dirt around the garden.  I miss getting sweaty and grimy with dirt caked under my nails.  And my feet hurt from wearing shoes all day!  As much fun as this teaching gig is, I'm discovering how thick that farm-girl blood runs through my veins.

You can imagine how much I laughed when Karen posted this on my Facebook page:




19 comments:

  1. Ha! Great gardening in the snow pic! Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is awesome. Just last night I told my husband that I miss weeding. I can't wait to get out and clean up the fallen branches and clean out the chicken coop and get to work outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture. I have been chaffing at the bit to get the hoop house up and some early spring greens and radishes planted, but the ground is still frozen and I can't get the rods in the ground to hold up the hoops. Next fall I will plan better and put the rods in the ground then, so in the spring I can get things going earlier.
    Still reading Dostoyevsky? I know it is a long book, I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for you as well as the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man, March is the new February???! JANUARY?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have been seen doing that recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I miss weeding, but I do miss being able to go outside for a walk without getting cold-lung asthma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Oz says that "Sitting is the new smoking". I guess we know where that leaves teachers. Meaning I stand and walk (pace) to teach, but sit for planning, endless meetings, grading, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to my world, the one where sitting rules the day. Oh well, perhaps I should take a nap.
    That's a really cute picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that picture! I'd send you some sunshine, if we had any!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This made me laugh. I'm hoping it's warm enough this weekend so I can start clearing leaves from my landscaping. It's such a horrible task, yet, like you, I'm ready and itching for it. Of course, I'll be cursing when I can't move the next day ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is totally me, too! My tomatoes and peppers are started from seed. The living room smells like dirt, and I LOVE IT. I was outside today looking around and planning (and finding a missing newspaper), despite the cold and the mud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're starting to green up here (our grass turns brown each winter). WIsh I could share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No gardening here--other than telling my husband where to move plants. I am enjoying daylight savings time. I'm still bitter about the countless hours I gave to Crime and Punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reality check, Green Girl. I gardened today and now I can hardly lift my fingers to type. Those aches and pains are overrated.

    Then again, if I had Wisconsin soil, might be a tad more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel almost that desperate for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look out the window at the blizzard that's moving in, the storm that is expected to become heavier through the night, the snow that's probably going to have schools closed again tomorrow--the last day before Spring Break next week--and all I can do is bite my fist.

    Our YMCA membership is key to saving my sanity, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.