Sunday, March 9, 2014

stillness

My body and brain both ache after this week.  First there was the whole getting thrown into the classroom full time.  I've mastered where to park, how to take attendance, how to enter grades and wrote lesson plans for the upcoming week.  Several people on staff have introduced themselves to me and all have been extraordinarily helpful.  The high school secretary is a goddess divine, too.  All of this "first week excitement" was followed by a whole weekend of basketball tournament, Mr. B (whose team lost and lost and lost again) on Saturday, Mr. G (whose team won and won and won and then lost) today.  Toss in four megaloads of laundry, a couple of concession/admission shifts at the tournament, daylight savings, a couple of episodes of Dr. Who (season two) with Mr. T and staying up WAY TOO LATE to finish reading The Fault in Our Stars and I am BEAT.

But Friday night it was over 30 degrees and I sat on the front porch with Jax.  No wind, just a gentleness to the air, so I felt comfortable in a sweater and t-shirt.  We were waiting for Mr. D to come home from the store with a bag of dog food.  I petted that dog and listened to the steady drip-drip-drip.  Slowly things are thawing out and melting. 

That twenty minutes of sitting in the dark, the temperate air on my face and the peaceful dripping of eaves was lovely.  I felt so lucky in those moments, contemplating the quiet and counting my blessings.

15 comments:

  1. I am glad you had that peaceful moment too and that you knew to appreciate it. That's the stuff that life is made of. Good for you for managing to keep it all in balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These quiet nights are so perfectly lovely when we move into spring. I'm glad you took the time to enjoy the peace and quiet. With your busy days, you need a little break for yourself here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love sitting still in the dark quiet. Good for you for appreciating those blessings. Spring truly arrived here with yellow and white and light greens everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It felt almost tropical here too Friday night. And by tropical, I mean, over 30.
    Loved Fault in our Stars. Edie turned me onto it. So many great YA books out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So busy!!!! It makes my head spin just reading it. You are Wonder Woman! Really!
    So glad that you found at least a few minutes to just sit and relax and try and rejuvenate. Hang in there! It will get easier.
    LOVE your positive attitude!

    Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I plan on listening to that drip, drip today - 50 degrees! Hope to sit outside for a bit too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a lovely day with the windows open.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The post is very nicely written and it contains many useful facts. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Interior Design, 2014’s Color Trends For Your Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, it was in the 40s here today! We took our ancient cat out onto the little piece of back patio where the snow has melted off, and sat on the stone steps. The cat was quite happy, and we had to comment to each other about how lovely it was not to be cringing from the cold.

    I'm so glad you survived your first week --and obviously you must have found *something* to wear, huh? I'm assuming you didn't teach naked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds very relaxing but I would have needed a coat. I can just smell that fresh air. It got to 65 today. Took a walk. Felt great. I think we are all ready for spring this year. Maybe more then most.

    ReplyDelete
  11. and then back to reality...have a fun week, Teach!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank God for quiet moments! Or as the plaque hanging in my kitchen reminds me, "Make time for quiet moments as God whispers and the world is loud."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the mad scramble you describe (rescheduling the simplest appointments, etc) are things that many don't think about when considering the life of a teacher. They focus on the 2 1/2 months we get off and not the other weeks where being sick or having an emergency has to be factored in to the meager "sick leave" days you get. Thanks for representing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I've seen that book at the library. Is it good? I'm always looking for new reads this winter - I've been on a major book binge. Once I can garden, I'm sure that'll slow down significantly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, amazing what 20 minutes can do. You survived. Onward! (catching up here, as you can tell. Been thinking about you.)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.