Monday, April 14, 2014

in which green girl contemplates so many things

As I type this there's a robin shivering on a snow-coated branch outside my window.  I know he's thinking WTF? right now, just like me.  (It could be a girl robin wondering WTF?, I honestly have no way of knowing.) Less than two days ago I was ensconced in lovely Dayton, Ohio where the weather was balmy and fellow writers swarmed around me full of ideas and encouragement.  I came home to a desk at work overflowing with tests to grade (because giving kids a test while I was out of town seemed like a real good idea at the time--an essay test--I blame the sinus infection for my poor judgement) and laundry baskets at home overflowing with dirty clothes.  You know how it is, between the offspring and the housecleaning and the miscellaneous errand-running and a 40-hour work week.  In normal circumstances it's somewhat manageable. 

But I dare not kvetch.  That Erma Bombeck Writer's Workshop was an amazing blessing.  Nevermind that 3 inches of snow coat my front yard and I was late to work because I forgot my keys and I need an oil change before I stack another thousand miles on the Momvan this weekend for Easter at my parents'. 

I feel like that robin looking around at the whole mess, trying to figure out where to find a twig under a blanket of snow and slush in order to build a nest.  That's a metaphor for having a lot I'd like to write about, but lacking the time to gather the words because life has me temporarily smothered.

I promise I will tell you all about meeting Cha Cha and the workshop and all the juicy bits in between, but there's a fight breaking out above my head and according to the timer in the kitchen, dinner's ready.  I'll leave you with this one bit of awesomeness:  each writer at the workshop got a complementary wine glass and that, my friends, gives you an idea of how much we should all love Erma Bomeck.

13 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were going to the conference, too! I didn't, but I know several other bloggers who did. Can't wait to hear about it. Good luck with those essays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you still have snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this, and you met ChaCha, too? Wow!

    My husband told me that after the first robin of spring arrives, there are only 2 more snows. So is this snow #1 or snow #2? (He totally made that up.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just described exactly how I feel! It was 77 degrees here in NY today but the snow is on its way. I feel totally bogged down by "real life" and am wondering if I'll ever sit back down at the computer to write. It's a good thing I have a good book to keep me company. I'm LOVING it so far! Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how energized this conference made you (+WINE); my days are always too full of wanting to write but having to grade, fold laundry, etc. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the only person I know--actually you and Minnesota Matron--that makes me look like a slacker!

    Very cool activity with the booby traps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love complimentary wine glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to hear that you got to go to a writer's workshop, and especially one that featured complementary wine glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And somehow all this busyness would be so much easier to deal with in REAL spring weather, I'll bet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This. Yes. Just this.

    Real life is really harshing my Erma vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Erma Bombeck. One of my favs. I am so jealous of you. It sounds fabulous. I can't wait to hear all about it.
    However, I don't envy your work overload. Holy moly! Sounds overwhelming.
    Also not a fan of this back and forth with the weather. It is nuts! On Easter we were down in Germantown and it was 77 degrees. Back at home here it was 55. Today it barely got to 50. I am SO ready for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still quote Erma Bombeck! My favorite: A woman's car is an extension of her purse.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.