Monday, April 28, 2014

pouring out

Last time I wrote here, Mr. G was hurling all over the place.  The good news is he was FINE a day later, tired but all recovered and able to eat sandwiches and chips with no ill effect.  And I still owe you a rundown of the Erma Bombeck Writers Workshop--but that will require more than the ten minutes I have to spend with you this week.

We're in the throes of softball (Mr. T's team is 3-0), baseball (Mr. D's team is 7-1 and ranked FIFTH in state as of today!), and baseball practices for Mr. G and Mr. B.  This Saturday Mr. D has a double-header, Mr. T has a tournament, Mr. G has a scrimmage.  All in town, thank God for that small blessing.  Plus there are weddings and birthdays and spring concerts and meetings and banquets and all nature of frivolity that accompanies an 8th grader about to graduate from middle school.  So much pomp and circumstance. 

The teaching gig has proved that our household cannot sustain two full-time breadwinners.  I've learned a lot of things, but that's the most important takeaway.  Someday I plan to sit down and reflect in this space about my insights this spring.  Meanwhile, I'm planning something never before attempted in an English class about to read a play by The Bard.  It involves a crazy amount of scrap craft supplies, the diligence of my 6th hour study hall kids (don't worry, only the kids who don't have homework get enlisted to help me out), and a belief that combining the power of sight and sound will make The Taming of the Shrew more memorable and less confusing.  Stay tuned...this might be my biggest triumph or my most spectacular FAIL of the quarter.

Oh, and we're reading this play FEMINIST-style.  My introductory lessons plans for this play include discussing The Bechdel Test tomorrow and Goldie Blox on Thursday. 

15 comments:

  1. "Taming of the Shrew" is my husband's favorite Shakespeare play. I wonder why.

    Your Misters have a LOT of sports games! I hope it all goes well. Fifth in the state is completely and utterly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember thinking life was busy when Emma was really young, but it's nothing compared to how busy life becomes as they get older! I can't imagine having to work full time and keep track of the schedules of three kids as they move through MS and HS! Each of their schedules is like a full time job in itself! I hope your Shakespeare project is a resounding success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. like a bus station at your house sometimes, all the to-ing and fro-ing? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it's very difficult to raise a family and run a household with two full-time breadwinners. Something always has to be sacrificed, and that's usually the cleanliness of the house and the quality of the meals. Can't wait to hear how your Shakespeare project turns out. I take it you are finished with Crime & Punishment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ONE child and realized I couldn't work full time and handle motherhood.

    Cannot wait to hear about how the project turns out. Sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine how busy you are!! I did Taming of the Shrew for my final exams at high school, I loved it, your lesson plan sounds brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somebody has to hold down the fort and keep things running smoothly on the home front and it seems to me that you are pretty good at that. It's too bad that you don't get a salary for it. It should be a well paid job. The responsibilities are enormous if you are doing it right. Most of the well educated women here choose to work part time because they don't have the time or energy to work full time. Having a family is a serious business.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You have SO MUCH on your plate right now. I don't know how you are doing it. How many days until summer break? You MUST be counting down.
    Hope you get some time to breath!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to hear how Shrew turns out!

    And yes, I think it makes perfect sense that your household can't support both of you working full-time. My household is a much happier, saner place with me working part-time, and we don't have kids and 27 baseball games to juggle. It just makes me think: You can do anything, but you can't do everything at once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are on a creative roll with your teaching of the play and crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I'm an avid reader of all you write, I would be a very avid reader of your reflections about the teaching and the pressures it's put on your household. I know that having my husband be home throughout our marriage has made THE difference in our quality of life. This year, he's at a school four hours a day, and, fortunately, he's still able to handle our meals and greeting the kids off the bus and such, but even that small shift in our schedules has been felt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only reason my family can get along with me working part-time is that my husband is now retired. I don't know how you are managing to juggle it all.
    You will be showing us pictures of the craft project, right?

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.