Wednesday, June 18, 2014

hatched

The rain keeps falling here, a steady patter against the roof, a damp dripping in the eaves.  The downpour sloshes against the pool--it's threatening to overflow.  The ground is saturated and water pools in gullies, creeks and ditches.  Fields of early corn look like lakes today, reflecting a sky heavy with clouds. The slight shift in the rhythm woke me up last night--quicker and harder--followed by the grumble of thunder in the distance.

Barefoot, I stepped across Lego-strewn carpets and smooth tile floors on my way to check open windows throughout the house.  Then I paused by the back screen door to admire the lightning flashing in the dark sky.  The sound of frogs came to me and my eyes adjusted after a bright flash to spot a twinkle against the shadow of willows and tall grasses at the edge of our back yard.  I blinked and stared into the woods, wondering what I'd seen.

There it was again--a pinprick of a light in the distance.  The glow of an animal's eye, a fox's perhaps?  Or the remnant glitter of a lightning strike?  Slowly but surely more tiny lights appeared, hovering and blinking at varying heights.  I focused on one glowing beacon floating past and then another to make certain.  Fireflies!

I'd seen the first ones of summer and imagined them hatching out a day or two ago, hundreds of them searching for love on this rainy night.

It's been muggy and hot.  Sweaty back of the neck hot.  Damp clothes clinging to skin hot.  Wait until dusk to get your chores done hot.   A perfect week for growing plants and I swear you can watch the tomato and bean plants get taller if you sit still enough.  After being trapped indoors and beneath layers of clothing all winter, I lovelovelove this kind of sticky heat. 

Plus, summertime brings magical moments like seeing the first fireflies of the season.

13 comments:

  1. I am with you on loving this hot weather. Bring it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby saw the first fireflies on Monday night and was so excited! She's been waiting to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of rain on the skylights at night, even if it wakes me up . I hope some of the hot weather blows this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a few fireflies a couple of nights ago --I haven't really paid enough attention since then. I love storms in the evening, and then falling asleep to steady rain later on. Although I'm not a fan of sticky heat, I don't mind it as long as the pool is available. I was just remarking to Rob the other day how I'm not ready for the corn to be this high --it indicates summer is progressing, and I don't want it to go too fast. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for winter again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen fireflies. They seem magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lego-strewn carpet - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Barefoot, I stepped across Lego-strewn carpets . . . " You daredevil, you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, trying to soak up warmth and keep it a few months :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, evocative words.

    I am with you on loving the hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It rained earlier tonight after I had already gone to bed, but it is not hot and muggy here like it is where you are. I am grateful for that because I am sure that I would not be able to stand it. We do not have fireflies here and I have never seen them. It must be quite a sight. Most of our insects are not very exotic, except for the occasional biting spider. I have been their victim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fireflies are the only acceptable insect. They are indeed magical.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Appreciating humidity . . . it does not compute. Glad you so enjoy all your seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss the fireflies we had in Virginia. That is one thing we don't have here -- the other thing is oppressive heat and humidity, which I do NOT miss at all. ;)

    Also, my feet hurt just thinking about a Lego-strewn floor...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.