Thursday, September 11, 2014

chillin'

It's gloomy and chilly out today, the final punctuation marking summer's end.  The news says we're supposed to get our first frost tonight.  I guess we need the cold to help us appreciate the heat.

And speaking of cold, Room 212, my current digs every week day from 7:30 - 4:00 has been freezing.  Bone-aching, knee-shaking, muscle-quaking COLD.  When I take attendance, little puffs of steam escape from my lips.  I kid you not.  It's an old building and the temperature fluctuates from one extreme to another and it seems Room 212 is positioned directly beneath the main blower for the entire building.  All the cold air intended for a three story building flows directly down on me and my students, then dissipates through the door to points beyond.

This wouldn't be bad if it were winter, but getting dressed in muggy 80 degree weather (and subsequently sweating as one feeds children, stuffs lunch bags, scoops the litter box etc.) makes it tricky to transition to tundra-like conditions.  I cannot bring myself to pull on a wool turtleneck while I'm sipping lemonade to cool down.

But today?  Oh, mercy!  Today I opened the door to Room 212 and a BURST of heat flowed over me.  So much heat in fact that the mob of freshman boys who congregate in the hall outside my room each morning remarked upon it.  "Wow!  It's HOT in your room!"

Indeed it was.  And do you want to know how much more quickly time passes when one isn't hunched over their knees trying to conserve their body heat?  Five times is my estimate.  The hours go five times faster when my body feels warm.  I daresay I even perspired a little, dressed as I was beneath three layers of clothing since I had no way of knowing the building would switch over from air conditioning to boiler last night.

Sweet, sweet heat.

But that's not all the good news!  The cleaning lady came today and every nook and cranny here at Chez Green Girl is sparklin' clean. 

AND that narrative essay I assigned the students for today?  Only THREE kids (out of 130) didn't turn in rough drafts--and out of those three, two had reasonable excuses.  That's a percentage UNHEARD OF in the modern classroom.  From what I saw during their first peer editing session, most of them rocked it, too.  

Spill it, reader.  What great things are happening in your neck of the woods this week?

19 comments:

  1. Ah, my friend, but it's getting cold, ain't it?! Minneapolis is all a-chill, and it's not going away anytime soon.

    Blasts of heat -- ooh. That sounds lovely.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome about the rough drafts! I teach college classes and even then some students do not turn in papers that are 30 percent of their grade! !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It. Is. So. Hot. Here. UGH!!!

    It sounds like you're off to a great start at school there!

    The greatest thing right this minute is that I can hear Laura practicing her student government election speech upstairs over Skype with one of her friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How exciting that so many kids actually had their drafts done!
    Glad you are warm again, but I hate it's because the heat was turned on. Can't say I'm happy about the cooler temperatures out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting news this week on a project that has been taking up way too much of my time here recently - one that I am almost ready to share on the blog. So there's that.
    Not ready for fall, as I don't feel we ever really got that hot summer. Although yes, we did have many fun adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The greatest thing that's happening in my neck of the woods right now is the switch from summer's heat to fall's cooler temps. YES.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am typing this with freezing fingers. I don't want to turn the heat on, but I'd love to have some heat. (Our fireplace is not usable.) It is supposed to get back up into the 70s over the next few days, so I'm trying to be strong.

    I just graded the first exam in my 101 class, and the average was higher than normal --that made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, FREEZING here now too, I got under the goose down last night, and realized there is at least 9 months of this ahead....

    ReplyDelete
  9. We actually got a little snow the other day. Killed off most of my flowers, dangit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And it's HOT HOT HOT out the California way. Plus the wind equals red alert for fire danger this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The weather is beautiful here in Iowa. My favorite time of the year. The deed ruts in our yard got filled today and we planted grass seed this evening. Now we need some rain. All is good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done with the students essay, that's a brilliant result! It's been pretty warm here today but the grey, damp mist that descended in late afternoon/early evening reminds us that it's Autumn not Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I read this, I was as horrified by the heat as the cold, which tells you a fair bit about my personal classroom PTSD. While my office on campus is generally FREEZING, the classrooms I teach in are generally a literal 88 degrees, plus the heat generated by 26 computers running (and never being shut off). So little is written about how classroom conditions affect the learning experience, but it's worth a book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there, my friend. So nice to be back and visiting you.

    1501 posts in nearly 7 years us VERY impressive. (I'm 5 1/2 years in and just over 500.) You are good!

    Congrats on the full time teaching job! It sounds like you are really loving it and I know you're a terrific teacher and has a huge impact on your students! I'll be reading to hear how it goes and how the family steps up to help you out.

    In the meantime, enjoy your very clean house-- it's such a great feeling.

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  15. My office at another college campus in Wisconsin is frigid. Last week one of my co-workers came in and asked me why my lips were blue. Maybe I need to get a space heater!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Didn't have a good week so will focus on yours. I'm behind - so you're teaching full-time this year? Hefty schedule for a mom of three. But, there is that cleaning lady. Gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That is fantastic! Well, not the freezing cold and subsequent crazy heat, but the students. That is just fabulous to have classes like that. Wonderful!
    This weekend my fam got all the wood ready for the upcoming cold season. We have PLENTY of firewood to keep us warm now. And I can finally say I am ready and excited for fall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This all sound incredible--everything but the freezing cold. Your mad gardening skillz blow me away.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a cleaning lady! Huzzah! That trumps climate troubles on a personal level any day (at least in my eyes).

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.