Saturday, December 6, 2014

seasonal bliss and a good trade

When you get a kitten your impulse is, quite naturally, to dangle things for it to attack.  This dangling provides endless fun for both people and felines.  It should have come as no surprise then, when we installed a Christmas tree and hung a bunch of bright, shiny ornaments on it, that the kitten viewed it as a Major Project.  Rose is determined to conquer the tree--strip it of every single ornament and bat those dropped ornaments into corners until she is certain they are dead.

In short, she's really pissing everybody off.  She can't help it, her kitten brain and Christmas tree are at odds.  Mr. G is especially angry at her and waits by the tree, spray bottle in hand to catch her in the act.  Then he catches her and lectures her.  She paws his freckled face and purrs.  It's pretty adorable.

I cleverly did NOT collect any homework to bring home to grade this weekend.  It feels really nice to have a weekend off.  A sliver of Christmas shopping got done, a chunk of an editing job, and I (finally!) watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel while ironing.  For a few hours my life felt like it used to be before I went back to work, leisurely and content. 

My nephew who is now in college asked me to knit him a stocking cap with a giant pom-pom when I saw him over Thanksgiving.  I haven't knit anything in ages, so I agreed.  Today I purchased the yarn and am looking forward to getting that started in the next couple of weeks.  In a fair trade, he taught me how to block people's Facebook posts.  I'm too much of a weenie to unfriend anybody, it would look bad, right?  But there are people I like just fine in person but cannot abide on Facebook--they post politically divisive, fear-mongering or hateful things.  Or really stupid things like "Like this if you hate cancer!"  "Ten thousand likes and this little orphan with a puppy will get a kidney donated to save her life!"  "Share this if you believe in love/Jesus/friendship."  "I got Lita Ford!  What's your secret rocker chick identity???"  It's best that I never, ever see what these people post so I can smile at them when I run into them at a basketball game or in the grocery store.  And there are people who post every single photo they ever take of their children.  These people take daily, sometimes it seems like hourly, pictures.  I try to imagine a life where I'm constantly asking my kin to line up and smile.  "Stop eating dinner and say cheese!"  "Stop playing your game and gather together--now SMILE!"  "Stop playing the snow and let me get a picture of you all together!"  Then I wonder what fuels the desire to take these endless pictures and put them out there for public consumption.  And then there are the people whose lives appear to be a constant party-party-party.  They just annoy the hell out of me because it's not even possible to never have to go grocery shopping or stay home and catch up with laundry.  Unless, of course, you are a college kid like my nephew.  My nephew, who I am not friends with on Facebook, so I couldn't even tell you if he is annoying or not, though I suspect not.

That paragraph has left me breathless so I'm going to find my size 8 round needles and talk my kids into watching a Christmas movie.  Maybe Elf.  And I'm not taking a picture of them gathered on the couch together, I promise.

Spill it, reader.  Most annoying Facebook posts. 




21 comments:

  1. Am I blocked? Because DOTR loves to post pictures of beer, food, etc. and tag me whether I'm there or not (okay, usually I'm there if really, really cold beer is involved). I really don't like those pictures with motivational sayings that are usually depressing and I reealllly hate the recipes, household tips, etc. that should be on Pinterest, not facebook. Mom on the Run (since my name is now xxxxxxx on Google!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking you mean "unfollow", rather than block? You can't actually be FB friends with someone you've blocked :-)

    I have unfollowed all of my east coast relatives. It's amazing to me that this Midwestern girl is more liberal than my east coast relatives!? Wow they annoy the HECK out of me. My brother-in-law is the worst. So I don't see any of their posts anymore and you're right --it's much better not to be annoyed, since that's not what FB is for.

    It's too late for this year, but if Rose has not succumbed to Mr. G's diligent discipline by next year, a good trick is to get a blue spruce for your Christmas tree. They are SO prickly that even the cat will stay away from it. You do need to use those rubbermaid dish gloves, though, to get the lights on, so you don't scratch yourself up. (We use them because they are strong enough to hold up the candles, but we've never had a cat bat/climb/annoy the tree a second time.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been posting doggy pictures. Hope you don't mind.
    I get really tired of people who post EVERY motivational quote they see and all those dumb quizzes. I guess I'm also annoyed at people who post things that have been circulating for a year and two, and have already been exposed as a hoax.

    I also have an ex-boss who posts at least twice a day about how miserable her life is and every single thing in life that annoys her. She is the most negative person on FB, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I block stuff on fb too. Some people just get under tge skin with their posts.

    I love kittens :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have created a "restricted" list and put several relatives/old friends on it, so that I don't have to see what they post. I have only unfriended one person over hateful comments on my page (picking fights with my friends, of all things!) but I do keep people in their own lists. My "Blogworld" list is my favorite one to visit.
    My cat is beyond middle age and very well behaved. The worst she has ever done is swat at the train under the tree and knock off a few low-lying and very tempting ornaments. Sorry you are dealing with a more typical kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agonize over everything I post lest I be annoying/repetitive/corny/obtuse/mistaken (and on and on), but THE WORST is when friends post cryptic alarms which are just begging for an "Oh, no! What happened?" in the comments. Either tell it all, or don't! I happily delete posts that exasperate me--one glance is plenty, and maybe their next one will be something more palatable. (One daughter throws in frequent right-wing diatribes--poof, it's gone!)
    Pictures of cats and kids--in moderation--are acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the cryptic posts that annoy me above all else. If you want to say something, just say it.

      Delete
    2. There's even a term for that: vaguebooking. And I agree, it's super annoying.

      Delete
  7. "They just annoy the hell out of me because it's not even possible to never have to go grocery shopping or stay home and catch up with laundry. "

    Hahahahahahahahaha! Enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a lurker on facebook - can't stand the What Kind of _____ Are You? quizzes.
    Going back to work full time is HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you on "Share if you..." items. The flip side is "If you don't share, you're an awful person - at least on Facebook." If the issue matters to me, I've probably already posted about it, but not necessarily on my personal Facebook page. I have a second page for political and work related posts. Blog links often end up there because (no surprise), the posts might be political.

    ReplyDelete
  10. facebook, ahh, what a learning curve! For middle aged brains like mine, at least. Who love to write, love to read. I had to relearn those traits all over again when online everything came along. I can remember waaayyyy back to the days of an online gathering place called "Moms Online". I learned a lot there, and then? Oprah bought it. And it became nothing but a shill for her spew. I had to really develop online tact when I came upon folks I could not abide by. Fully engaged the selective unfollow trick, and have even unfriended and blocked certain (heck almost all) in-law people since I can't stand them in real life, and why should they get to be under my skin online where I truly do only have a handful (45 to be exact) of elementary/high school and some online only, friends? I wittled my fb friend list down to a finely tuned science of people I truly want to hear from. Also? The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2 is coming soon! In the Spring I think! Can't wait for that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. definitely the cryptic statuses and the "every five minutes I tell you where I am" statuses. DRIVE ME NUTS. We all go to the Target and grocery store, but I don't feel the need to tell you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely the habitual vaguebookers as well as those who use social media to air grievances with their husbands and/or children, post what should be private messages to all, overusers of hashtags (google "% your hashtag" and thank me later), the use of 'cc' in facebook statuses- it's not email people - and anyone who uses LOL. I have and will defriend for overusage of LOL.

    Also, it's a widely known fact kitties think Christmas trees are soley for them to destroy. Yet another reason why we don't have a kitty. (Although did I tell you they got me a plastic blow up kitty for my birthday so I can have pretend one? Damn thing is ALWAYS on the table.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate the posts that say something like, "Please copy this and leave it as your status for just one hour...I bet none of you have the courage...."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been unfollowing people left and right in an attempt to force the FB algorithm to show me only the people I want to see.

    I also unliked a couple hundred pages so that my feed would be far less cluttered.

    In short, I am trying to strip down Facebook to its simplest form.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well sure, then there's me, taking pics of everything I eat, the dog, cat, everything I make and posting it...but I am special :) YOU WANT to see what I post! Right?;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I'm afraid to respond to your closing question, as it's a novel's worth. My sister is very much plaguing my FB these days, to the point where I'm working on staying clear of it. She's never been easy, but I've always done better with her than most; however, she has decided to stridently object to something I wrote (about our dad, which I wrote as my honest memories but which she says I inflated/fabricated/lied about in an effort to make myself seem better than I am), so now her FB and Twitter are devoted to posting memes passive-aggressively directed at me...stuff about "telling the truth you want people to believe is real" and such.

    In short, I need to iron and watch a movie--and consider blocking her--before I can feel better.

    Sorry to bleed all over you here, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i can't even begin to list them all. mostly i block people who get to political or religious. i don't mind the quizzes so much.

    every time i think about quitting Facebook because of all the annoyingness i remember it's how i've reconnected with a lot of family so i stick it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I take a lot of pictures and I do occasionally lol, but I am pretty sure you won't be hiding my posts over my racist politics.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a relative who sells Zija/Moringa nutritional products in a multi-level marketing business. He constantly puts up posts about the business, and mixes family posts in with that stream. I wish he'd just separate the two . . .

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.