Saturday, March 14, 2015

feeling a bit like julie andrews when she's twirling in circles singing about hills being alive

When I take stock today, I find myself feeling pretty giddy about life.  What's going on? All kinds of sweetness and goodness!

*My bedsheets smell like fresh air because I'm using clotheslines and it's only the middle of March.
*It has been over 60 degrees ALL WEEK LONG, and it's only the middle of March!
*Basketball is done for Team Testosterone, and now it's track and baseball season AT LAST. No more sitting in bleacher seats in gymnasiums all weekend long. 
*Mr. D's mom is on the mend.  Long story, but a happy ending.  Mr. D's stress level is reduced and he'll be back from Iowa tomorrow night.
*Windows are WASHED and screens are ON--it's only the middle of March, but my house smells a gazillion times better and Jax feels like he's part of our family again because of open doors and windows, too.

*I met the loveliest people this morning at a retirement community where I taught a little course on creative writing.  They had the best stories about living through the Great Depression and WWII, I sure enjoyed meeting them. The facility was gorgeous and offered every amenity imaginable. 
*I teach some senior girls who are totally gnarly feminists with cool ideas and big plans.  They make me want to sing.
*Lunch out with my boys, watching Wisconsin beat Purdue, enough cheese curds for everyone and the waitress complementing me on their fine manners when we left.
*Hair metal in the Momvan--and Team Testosterone knows the words AND when to break into air guitar/drum solos. 

* I have a son who sings to himself because he's happy and feeling fine. On a school day.  No fooling.
* Wrestling champions at Happyland High. They worked hard and won first place at state and now they are done cutting weight and much more pleasant to be around. And they do homework, too. Even their faces have plumped out a bit, one boy showed up first hour with a family pack of cookies and a soda. I couldn't even be irritated because for the first time all season he arrived before the bell rang.
*A friend gave us the heads up on a hunters safety course so we're able to get Mr. B licensed before baseball season gets under way.  Really nice of him to think of us.

*Walking around barefoot outside and it's only the middle of March.
*Wickedly creative book projects from some of my English 12 students.
*Running outside with sunshine on my face in the evening and my knee isn't acting like vicious.
*Praying for energy to teach Cubbies on Tuesday nights after teaching high school all day--and always receiving it. Doesn't make sense, but I walk out filled up instead of spent. God is amazingly powerful.

*Hearing the kids play outside together, roaming around on their bicycles and making big plans for summer break.
*Spending Friday night parked in front of back-to-back-to-back episodes of Modern Family, belly laughing with my sons.
*Catching up with friends I haven't seen in a while, including a few unexpected encounters.
*Mud tracks.  A sure sign of spring around here.  And robins.

Spill it, reader.  What's making your heart sing these days?


© 2014 Melissa Westemeier All Rights Reserved


16 comments:

  1. Just reading this list made me happy!
    Son #2 decided that he would rebel when I helped with recreation at AWANA. The chant on those nights was "No Cubbie Bear!" But it was said in a cute 4-year-old voice and I still remember it fondly.
    Son #1 would hum to himself in a sing-song way AS A TEEN while eating his breakfast -- and sometimes at other meals, too. It always made us smile. Now I suppose his wife gets that privilege.

    It rained today. We badly needed rain so I was happy to see it and even feel it. And I succeeded in getting up early and had 2 pumpkin pies ready to be sliced at 9:26:53 AM. I am not a morning person, so this was a major feat. They were gone by suppertime. I might need to make a giant pizza cookie and call it a pie for round 2 at 9:26:53 PM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I hung our bedding out on the clothesline yesterday. I loved making the bed before diving into it last night -- such a great smell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say an abundance of cheese curds always makes my heart sing. Plus: warmth and sunshine in mid-March!

    I'm so glad your knee isn't being a pain about your run. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this update--it made my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watching the snow melt and finally being able to walk the paths in the woods makes me happy. Will be watching the MSU vs Wisconson Bball game later - should be a great game - good luck, but go green :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gardening work days, that's making me happy. And the snow mostly melted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being able to be out and about without a coat, hat, mittens, and two scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love lists like this! Seeing happy news makes me sing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a big bunch of happy :-) Isn't spring the best?

    I'm reading a good book, which makes me happy. Blessed are the Cheesemakers. If you want to give it a go, make sure you have really great cheese in the house first. You will need it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful spring list! I like the part about creative book projects.

    What makes me sing today is that I am back home after an amazing and exhausting three days in Chicago, which is a flat but fun and welcoming place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is a fantastic list. So much to be thankful for. And I have to laugh at how many things on the list are related to the lovely weather we've been having. I know the feeling. Man, this weather makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it? So good.
    Thank you for this list. It made me happy just reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Surely this is a site well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.