Tuesday, June 30, 2015

in which she attaches her blog to life support

Did you hear that? The feeble gasp as I attempt to breathe life back into this page? The last time I posted here I was up to my armpits in high school seniors. Who am I kidding? I'm 5'3"--I was drowning in them. The final surge of paperwork hit my desk like a tsunami and I spent a week after my students graduated mostly sputtering and wearily surveying the chaos.

Then I completed 6 credits of college work so I could renew my teaching license. That academic achievement was followed by the hullabaloo that always occurs when my own offspring get done with school. Mr. D's team advanced to baseball playoff games, I packed a kid off to camp, I read almost 1200 pages of manuscripts for my Screw Iowa Writers Workshop and helped Mr. T mitigate the final steps to becoming an Eagle Scout.

Did you read that last part? Mr. T's an Eagle Scout! I still wake up from the occasional nightmare where I am fighting with him to finish his damn paperwork, but by golly, he finally wrapped it up! And now he's close to taking his driving exam. (And what's cool about a teenager chauffeuring you around town while they log their practice hours? Checking Facebook on my phone, that's what!) Big steps around here, people.

What else is new? There's an old mattress in our garage that the kids regularly tow out to play WWE Smackdown. Team Testosterone still spends their weekly allowance at the local convenience store on firecrackers, Gatorade and gum. They get muddy in the creek, swim, bike, dribble, throw, run and keep things in a mostly lively state around here.  We have lots of baseball games. I keep the book twice a week for Mr. B's team while Mr. D coaches.

My view on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

I went to Baltimore for a week for our annual Screw Iowa Writers Workshop and today I begin the final revisions on my next novel (stay tuned!)--available in paperback and kindle format next March. We've had a little family drama (the extended kind, not immediate), peonies and irises bloom and fade, a couple of parties, haircuts and a lemonade stand. Soon we're leaving for Yellowstone. But first I have to finish painting the upstairs bathroom (all those corners and getting behind the toilet--ugh!) and weed the garden (thistles, pigweed and crabgrass--double ugh!).

There you have it, reader. A bunch of excuses for not posting. As time sped by, pressure mounted to post something pithy or carefully insightful--so many topics to choose from! Gay marriage or racism or the awesomeness of Melissa McCarthy or the ache of watching boys become young men. I'd compose thoughtful, funny posts while scrubbing a floor or practicing yoga, but then another day would pass without actual time to sit down and write these thoughts. Finally one gets to this point--just post some damn thing to get feet back in the water. Rip off the bandage. Climb back in the saddle. Break the yolk. You get my drift.

In short, nothing profound in this post, just me--a bit paint splattered  and stubbly today--catching my breath here at my laptop while I ease myself back into this blog.

21 comments:

  1. HOLY SMOKE! In the middle of all that, you are writing a novel? Yay! I mean, Wow! I mean, I hope you get some time to relax. Take some time each day to admire your paint job behind that toilet.

    It's okay if the blog is on life support, as long as you yourself are doing well and living life.

    Bravo and well done (again) to Mr T! I predict that he will not regret his new rank. When my Eagle Scout applied for college, his Eagle rank was specifically mentioned in his acceptance letters. I believe it makes a difference (except to MIT, which rejected him, but that's okay because I didn't want him to go there anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those aren't excuses, that is SUMMER! I don't know where you find enough hours in the day.

    Love that the boys play WWE Smackdown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post is very charming with the whirlwind of activities going on, school ending, an Eagle scout, a teen driver, your new novel, you are doing good just to remain standing. Keep us posted tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya, baby. It's so hard to find time to write!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I get the just post something aspect of blogging. Yours was thoroughly enjoyable. And I'm now exhausted from your activities of late. Enjoy the hell out of Yellowstone. Beautiful place. And, I recall that Eagle Scout nightmare and most welcome sigh of relief. Did it three times myself. Hope it slows down a bit for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much good! I am spending a ton of time weeding as well. I cannot wait to hear about Yellowstone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping in touch doesn't have to be pithy. So good to hear from you. Glad things keep on keeping on as life goes on. Weeding here in between rain. The chickens are laying.
    Have fun in Yellowstone. We went to Medora, where a good time was had by all. Even the curmudgeon farmguy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are spending some time gardening too! Welcome back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LIFE gets in the way of our writing! But as I've had a dose of your good company recently I'm not complaining~Have a terrific time in Yellowstone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds exhausting but rewarding :-) I expected to come back to a garden full of weeds, but they're not so bad. The mosquitoes, on the other hand, are AWFUL!! I'm going to have to dip myself in Off just to tie up the wandering tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In all of that busy-ness, you still managed to update us on everything that has been happening in your neck of the woods. I'm impressed! Congratulations again to Mr. T. on his amazing accomplishment. (Would you like to help kick my 15yo in gear on his Eagle project?)
    I knew you truly had a chance to breathe when I saw that it was no longer winter in your blog header. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah! Ten lifetimes lived in your last month!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with ya on composing wonderfully written posts in my head while doing other things (life) with no time to actually sit and share them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to catch back up with you! Can't wait to hear about your next book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, you are busy. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  16. spoiler alert: i have been neglecting my blog. you are inspiring me to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Somehow I missed this tidbit in my previous reading of this post: You are completing another novel! Yay! I'm looking forward to reading another one of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You have many, many valid reasons for being absent from blogging. I hope your summer slows down just a bit so that you can relax a little. Before you know it school will be starting again. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.