Wednesday, July 29, 2015

puttering

Smack in the middle of summer, the birds' chirping is relaxed, gossipy but not the keyed-up mating cries of spring. The crickets and bugs hum gently, a low buzz that invites a friendly visit to the fields.  The plants are a deep green, the deepest green before the first tinge of gold that will strike them next month. I've been walking on paths through the woods, through the fields, and last night along our road where I met a kind old gentleman who pointed out the hundreds of crayfish in our creek. Neither of us ever saw anything like it before--just amazing. No idea why there are so many, in previous years I maybe saw five, most years none. But this year they are abundant. The mosquitoes are scarce, the evening breezes steady and I'm almost always barefoot outside in the thick of it.  Summer vacation is the best.

I have a to-do list today, though. I made it in pictures to share.
Pull these thistles, plus two more giant bullthistles that snuck up to 5 feet tall.

Pick these peas.
Read. Right there in that hammock. With a popsicle.

Go through this back-to-school list and these coupons.

Scrub this empty, defrosted freezer and leave it OFF.

Buy lumber so I can finish this back garden. I have BIG plans for that far corner spot, as you can see the other five are doing just fine this season. This work in progress is nearly wrapped up.

Remember, all comments are a chance to win an autographed copy of Madeleine Mysko's new book Stone Harbor Bound so you, too, can kick back and enjoy a little summertime fun.

Spill it, reader. How's summer in your neck of the woods?

16 comments:

  1. It's so ridiculously hot and humid here in Florida. I'm envious of your garden and hammock! Counting down the days until I get to go back "up north" to your fair state to see my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently heavenly. It's cool and windy today, which is helping to counter the oppressive humidity that's had me all sluggish. And the kids are at Camp Grandma for a few days, with Byron in the Cities for work, SO I AM ALONE IN MY OWN HOUSE. It's heavenly, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful. It's a little muggy (which I have a deep fondness for), Edie's off at camp and I'm pondering cleaning the house. All is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, M. That just looks like heaven!

    I'm certainly jealous of the no mosquito thing - they are thiiiiiick here and I feel like their top target. But ... it's summer. No real complaints, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pulling those thistles looks like a tough job. But no mosquitos and the hammock and the popsicle and the book and the rest of the gardens sound marvelous! Summer here is quickly turning into marching band camp, which, from my perspective, is like school without school bus transportation. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been an incredibly lovely summer. I can hardly wait to be on vacation next week, visiting Lake Itasca and the headwaters of the Mississippi River, ala' Okee Dokee Brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Popsicles. I forgot about the popsicles in the freezer. Getting out of this hammock and going in for one. Sounds too good to not partake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have some very thick leather gloves for those thistles!

    Summer today was gorgeous --lower humidity but still hot, breezy, and a clear blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO hot and dry here in Northern California (110 today and worse tomorrow!) but looking forward this weekend to our annual gathering of about ten wonderful old friends at a lovely rental about an hour from here. Missing will be one of our number who died in May…so there will be some tears with our laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer has been wonderful, thanks. Our hottest day of the year so far yesterday, about 92! Most people in the US might laugh at that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some day you are going to walk out of the house and find my curled up on your hammock. Summer vacation is the best. My kids go to back to school in a week. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grandparent camp for 2 grand girlies ended this week and it is very quiet here right now. I feel we packed a lot into their 2 1/2 weeks but it would have been even more if gramps wasn't sick. It's been a long awful summer for him and he's finally given up being a good sport about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh! Your chores are so much LARGER than mine.
    Hats off!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buy lumber? Keep your eyes open for lumber that you can repurpose. I'm lucky; my dear husband rescued a huge batch of lumber that would have gone into the dumpster at work and made my raised bed garden borders from all rescued wood.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Read in the hammock. That is definitely the best on the list. :) Wow! Your garden is huge. It look fantastic! And good luck with those thistles. Nasty little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suspect you accomplish more in one day than I can finish in a week!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.