Tuesday, August 25, 2015

musings on my last day before going back to work

I'm thankful to work in a district where they give us most of our inservice time to work in our rooms instead of slog through days of meaningless meetings. I have only a half day's worth of meetings--imagine!
When I write "district" it makes me think of The Hunger Games.  Such an industrial-sounding word.
Naturally the tomatoes I planted will be fully ripe NEXT WEEK after I'm up to my armpits in school work. It's not fair to be a teacher and a gardener. The two simply do not mix well.
And then there are the pears which will continue for another week and a half. I lug coolers of pears everywhere I go. So far people welcome the donations. I fear someday, however, folks will start edging towards the nearest exit when they see me dragging a cooler into the room.
Big dilemma: knock off a couple fall cleaning chores early today or finish Laura Lippman's Hush Hush?
But it's cold, so the hammock will NOT be fun today.
Decided: will ignore the boys' bathroom for another week and let A deal with it when she starts cleaning for me again.
Managed to schedule Mr. B's physical an hour before his first cross-country practice. Talk about cutting it close, eh?
Team Testosterone and I took a road trip north to Lake Superior last weekend. We mostly had a blast, though the driving got a little long a couple of times. We explored a few beaches, hiked, biked but the kayaking didn't work out. Too much wind created a small craft advisory and we had to cancel. Bummer, because those sea caves are really cool looking, but we'll have to head back some other time.
We got to meet Jocelyn! She was super nice, her family was delightful and she lives in the prettiest house you can imagine with all kinds of nooks, crannies and cubby-holes. And get this: her neighborhood has a private beach on Lake Superior! She and Byron and Paco brought us down to experience it, the guys lit paper lanterns and sent them into the heavens while Jocelyn and I chatted about families, work, blogging, writing and so forth. Time flew, as it always does when you are in good company. I'm so glad we drove the distance to do that.
I never finished the project in my fenced-in garden. Yesterday I prepared it a bit more, but the clock is ticking. If I don't get cracking by Saturday, forget it.
Do I put this blog on hiatus until Christmas break or make a feeble attempt to post once or twice a month?
I never developed any photographs from our Yellowstone vacation. Photographs make my head and stomach hurt--I don't enjoy the processing and labeling and putting into albums. But I like looking at the pictures. Such a conundrum. So much guilt.
I wonder which student will make me cock an eyebrow first next Tuesday.
I can't wait to see how my classes do with my New! Improved! curriculum.  
Decided: if my room is a subzero freezer again I am skipping all the administrative pipeline and going directly to the nearest custodian and beg for their help. I'm handing this and this to them. Whatever it takes, I will NOT suffer frostbite in my classroom. Will teach in cafeteria or commons area if necessary.
I hope it's easy to get moving tomorrow morning when my alarm goes off.
I bet it will be--I'm pretty excited to go back to school.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I like you so much.

    Read the book today and skip the chores. The chores will wait, and reading is always important.

    As for blogging? I'm trying to post once a week. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But I'd be reticent to give you a thumbs-up for going on hiatus. First of all, I like to read your stuff. But secondly? Do you really want to get out of the habit? Of course, if you're in the habit of writing books, I can be patient and wait for the big payoff ... b/c it's all about me.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to be a pardner and anything! Years ago my mother planted the most prolific garden I've ever known. About now she went on vacation. Every night after work and school, my daughters and I drove 45 minutes to pick another bushel of tomatoes, go home, and beginning canning them. We threatened to never help her again with tomatoes. The next year, as I recall, she planted a lot of kohlrabi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, happy first day back tomorrow, pardner.

      Delete
  3. Again, it was incredibly lovely of you to come to our fair burg so that we could meet. I love having an actual body and vibe in my head now for you--and for your gang of charming lads!

    Having just started the new semester yesterday, I am feeling for you. It's EXHAUSTING. When I was done yesterday, I sat in my office, feeling all the adrenaline draining out of me, and I thought, "I'm exhausted."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful school year. I hope to see you once or twice before winter break! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just met with my second class today. I do wish little thought-bubbles would appear over their heads --they're always so hard to read that first day. Sometimes the kid who looks most like he hates being there turns out to actually be quite engaged and fun.

    It is chilly here too --I'm thinking of putting some socks on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy School Year! The new year has inspired me to pare down my commitments - I started resigning things yesterday. It feels sooo good. One of these days I may actually have time to do some of the things I want to do!
    If I can write a blog post in 20 minutes, then it happens. If it takes longer than that, it might not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you chose reading the book. I wish you all the best for your school year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teaching and gardening do not always mix. However, the sheer opposites of the two might explain why I find gardening so relaxing after a day of teaching. Teaching is so fast paced and high-energy, and working in the garden brings me back to natural slowness. Is slowness a word? It is now. Good luck for a good start this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. May the force be with you. I can only say that since this is first year I haven't returned to the classroom, in one form or another, in 30 some years, that I can appreciate your feelings.

    Have a great year and posting only once or twice a month is totally acceptable for a working mother of three boys who also has a writing life. (And incredibly jealous that you met Jocelyn and family. No shit? She has a beach on Lake Superior in her hood?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck! (she says with a hopeful and happy voice)
    I never seemed to realize that teachers worried about their tomatoes and gardens and blogs when I was sitting at Parents Night.
    (Partly because I always hated Parents Night.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys start school so early--NY state it is a couple of days after Labor Day....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have a great year. I know it's really hard to maintain a blog while also working and raising a family.
    I LONG to see Lake Superior. Hopefully we'll get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. $9 Million Fraud Judgment Against Antony Gordon In Federal Court

    This fraud judgment has led to Antony Gordon’s Chapter Seven bankruptcy, which is a straight liquidation.

    This (2:13-ap-01536-DS 1568931 Ontario Ltd., an Ontario (Canada Corporati v. Gordon et al) looks like a $9 million dollar fraud judgment in federal court against Rabbi Chanan (Antony) Gordon (an attorney, motivational speaker, and hedge fund manager).

    http://www.lukeford.net/blog/?p=59030

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had school orientation last night and I'm already having trouble sleeping. I can't imagine how it is for teachers. Do you get any sleep the few days before school begins? There is just so much to think about!
    I have approximately 500 pictures to be developed from three different cameras. I am NOT looking forward to it. And the longer I put it off the more pictures I add to that number. Ugh.
    Good luck on your first day of school!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. For pictures, there is always a Shutterfly book that is quick and easy -- and when you wait for a coupon or special deal, it's even reasonably priced! I approve of letting someone else clean the boys' bathroom. (For some odd reason, my husband rarely makes the boys do it, even though he is the one at home now and I am the one who goes to work.)
    May your classroom be reasonable comfortable and may you get rid of that awful smell!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.