Tuesday, August 18, 2015

wrapping stuff up

Congratulations, Becky over at Chicken Wire & Paper Flowers! You've won a copy of Kim Kasch's new YA novel Demon's Ink! Email me your address and I'll get that book mailed to you (or your daughter--or both of you can read it)!

Speaking of good reads, the Bumble Book Club will meet this week to discuss The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.  Amazing work. I loved it and will re-read it. If you are a reading kind of person, this book will resonate with your soul.  I've been gobbling down books like crazy this summer, making up for the dry months of teaching when all I get to read is required stuff.  I've plowed through murder mysteries, literary fiction, nonfiction and even some kid fare. Anyone else read Masterminds by Gordon Korman? Phenomenal. My kids were waiting for me to finish so they could get their paws on it.  Only a couple weeks of break remain, and I've got my pile o' books waiting to get gradually diminished.  

Today's a banner day at my house. Team Testosterone gets to go to WWE Smackdown tonight. I just finished revisions on my new novel and sent it to the publisher.  We nailed down a date for Mr. T's Eagle Court of Honor ceremony.  Arrangements have been made for the last big hurrah of summertime--kayaking and hiking around the Lake Superior shoreline. I've had that on my bucket list for some time now, I keep reading about how lovely it is and plus it would be cool to experience each of the Great Lakes, right?  I mean, why limit myself to Lake Michigan?  And there's a bonus involved in my Lake Superior adventure, stay tuned to hear more about that.

I also sent some details about my next book's cover design to the illustrator.

This illustrates why I don't create my own cover design. Words? Yes. Pictures? Notsomuch.

With all that to celebrate, it almost seems mean to make the kids clean the basement this afternoon while I kick back in the hammock, doesn't it?

14 comments:

  1. I really loved The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. It was such an uplifting book --what a fun book it will be to discuss with your book club :-)

    Our summer has already run down --Emma starts high school tomorrow(!) and I'll use that as an excuse to get into my office for the next three days and prep. We start on Monday :-)

    I hope your last adventures are great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm a winner! I just sent you my address. I'm sure Edie girl will pick it up at some point, but with school starting tomorrow, her days of reading for fun are over for the time being. I still have one last hurrah planned because even though school is starting, the calendar still says summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait until the new book is published - you have had a productive summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo excited to meet you! Paco is even asking very careful, neutral questions about you and The Boys Who Will Intimidate Him into Wishing He Were Cool. That's big stuff. The only bummer: currently, the weather is beyond terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is one that I enjoyed, too. Huzzah for your new book! I hope I will be able to purchase a copy signed by the author. :)
    I'm looking forward to reading about your next adventure *and* seeing pictures from the Eagle Scout Court of Honor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read either of those books! I'll have to look for them. I have 3 right now at the library I need to go pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, the last line of your blog post is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Relax - you've definitely earned it! Are you teaching full time again this year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous of your trip to Lake Superior! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm exhausted reading this. I do recall a similar pace back when my boys were busy, but yours sounds much more fun than mine was. Enjoy Lake Superior and you get get to me Jocelyn. No fair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say you deserve a kickback in the hammock! You have been crazy busy!
    In case you are looking for yet another book to read, I've discovered yet another fantastic WI writer. Her name is Sandra King (my friend's mom, actually) and I just read her first novel Carry Me Home. Absolutely fantastic read. And it took me less than two days. It is one of those books you don't want to stop reading.
    Hope you can soak in a last few days of relaxation before school begins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bah! I had a typo in the author's name. It is Sandra Kring. KRING. Sorry about that. That should help you find her work. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.