Wednesday, December 30, 2015

same old, almost new

Finally the snow came and I eagerly put on my new (used) ski boots and discovered after much stomping and pounding and fiddling around that they don't fit my skis. I forged a trail through the woods anyway and returned home with blisters up the backs of both ankles from my old boots. What a conundrum--do I get new (used) skis to match the boots or return the boots and try to find a new (used) pair of boots to match the skis? 


In other news, everyone here is healthy. Mr. T's swallow test revealed nothing abnormal, so now we're trying something else to help him swallow better since no diagnosis can be made.  It's the weirdest thing, but it usually is something weird with him. 

I began Fates and Furies and had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep last night. It's one of those books that grips right away.  My favorite author discovered this past year is Fredrik Backman. Go read him immediately.

This is the first Christmas break that I haven't undertaken a big project like painting a room. The only extraordinary thing I did was clean out and wipe down the bathroom drawers and cupboards. I threw out one of two eye shadows I own, I never wear either so why didn't I throw out both? A mystery. I mercilessly pitched a bottle of massage oil (received as a gift a decade ago, never used--who would use such a thing?), fancy bath scrub (scares me--very perfumey and suspicious texture), samples packages of hair product and old nail files. I need to clean out my library, but that's going to take about a week, so I'll wait until summer vacation.

Tomorrow ends the year and instead of looking back I'm thinking of what's coming up.  Visiting relatives. Wrestling for Mr. B, tournament team basketball for Mr. G, a neighborhood party.  Monday brings a new unit for English 12 (The Crucible! Can you imagine how one might possibly teach about hysteria and propaganda in a post-communist age? So many modern-day parallels abound...missing birth certificates and climate change, Planned Parenthood and Muslim refugees. And to think I felt I was "settling" on this play because it was one of the few books I had enough copies to teach!)  I'll be back to scheduling my bathroom breaks around the bell and wearing shoes all day.

Tonight I'll sit in my favorite spot and drink what remains of my Christmas treat after watching Mr. B and Mr. G play their last basketball games of 2015.

What's better than a recliner? A hammock. Okay, this is my second-favorite spot to read.

Half and half heated on the stove, poured into a mug. Inhale. Sip.
I hope your end of 2015 is peaceful and comfortable, too.

16 comments:

  1. Hmm . . . you may have inspired some bathroom drawer cleaning :-) And a new author to check out. I had to wait through 3 hours of Emma's reading testing today, and I dipped back into class prep --it wasn't too bad. I think I may be ready, although our semester doesn't start quite as early. Enjoy your last bit of relaxing and going barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I threw away 10+ bras that didn't fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Crucible - I am embarrassed to say I have never read it. We are reading "1984" for our book club and I am finding some (imperfect) parallels to today's political climate.

    I need to throw things away but have no energy for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, don't be embarrassed, just hurry and pick it up! You'll be glad you did. It's short but powerful.

      Delete
  4. My dh and youngest went skiing today, although the neighbor has just been snowshoeing through the park behind us. I'm probably not the one to give advice about ski boots; mine no longer fit anyone and my husband gave them away. Who knows when or if I will ever ski again? :(

    The Crucible! I would love to be a fly on the wall of your classroom (unless you have a fly swatter, in which case...) when that is being discussed.
    I received a copy of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up for Christmas (it was on my wish list) and am both dreading and looking forward to putting it into practice. For now, I'm just reading it. She discusses such things as cleaning out those bathroom drawers -- which I should probably go do, but they are in the kids' bathroom (mine has no drawers) and therefore I'm ignoring them for now.

    Enjoy those last days of freedom and relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have been doing the years' end cleaning too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been quiet here - there was a sunny afternoon that found us all inspired to get dressed and clean up the house a bit, but for the most part, it's been wet and grey and with Pat and Edie both having colds, this week has been pretty mellow. I cleaned out the so-called happy corner where all my craft supplies live, so there might be some crafting soon. I went through a box I've been meaning to go through for more time than I want to admit, so I'm pretty proud of that fact. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe I have some skis and boots in storage from 1997. The skis (used) were a Christmas gift that year -- never used because I discovered I was pregnant shortly thereafter, then did have time, and now have Achilles issues that do not play nicely with skiing. I'm planning a huge months-long purge (a continuation from 2015) this winter and spring and when I find the ski equipment, it will finally go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great. I'll check out that author. I haven't read much in the past year (I blame Netflix) but I should find something worth reading to rekindle my interest, no? :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that sounds fabulous. All of it. Christmas break should never have too many "to do"s. Although I really do need to clean out my closet (and the kids too, probably). Still, I'm not sure when I'll get to it. ;)

    Wishing you and your family a wonderful 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That swallowing business is worrisome, but we'll put it aside for tonight and wish you and yours a very happy (and healthy) New Year!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've inspired me, from skiing to cleaning to looking up Fredrick Backman. But for right now, I'm not going to do anything, 'k?

    For the ski/boot conundrum, I say replace whichever bit is in worse shape. Sounds like the boots aren't working too well, so get rid of them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year! It sounds like your 2016 is shaping up to be very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful reading chair. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recall reading The Crucible in high school. I liked it. Sorry the swallow test didn't offer any answers.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.